The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By frogg
  • 1 Post By williamhj

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2013, 03:46 PM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute
Default Regular tying thread for guide wrapping?

Hey there...STILL waiting for my reel seat and guide set. Channeling Mick Jagger ... "I'm not waiting on a lady, I'm just waiting..."

Still waiting on the cork I ordered as well, (if you're reading this Dan, I will get a hold of you when I get it for having some cut) so I'm onto trying to choose thread color.

But this is difficult to do on a screen since it's all based on colors - the thread, the blank, and the blank through the thread. There is not a lot of true rod thread on hand at the fly shops, not much color variety at all. So last night I wrapped a variety of colors of 6/0 Uni around the blank to get some ideas. Turns out that Uni's Olive and Lt Olive both look very nice, as well as Camel, black is black. While the last of an old spool of Lt Green Gudebrod looks bad.

So, I am curious to know the drawbacks of using tying thread to wrap guides, if there are any. 6/0 is too fine, but 3/0 might be OK. Waxed thread could be a finish problem, no? Anything else?

Thanks!
Old 01-25-2013, 03:51 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Regular tying thread for guide wrapping?

My first thought was the wax on many tying threads. If you do the wraps on the butt section of the rod where your reel seat will go you can apply finish to them and see what the end look will be. I always do this because even with color preserver the end color of the wraps will be a bit different one the finish is on. If you've got the time, do some small test wraps and finish them. Great way to pick colors.

I'm not sure the conversion from size A wrapping thread to denier or _ /0 tying sizes. Would be interested to know.
Old 01-25-2013, 04:10 PM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamhj View Post
My first thought was the wax on many tying threads. If you do the wraps on the butt section of the rod where your reel seat will go you can apply finish to them and see what the end look will be. I always do this because even with color preserver the end color of the wraps will be a bit different one the finish is on. If you've got the time, do some small test wraps and finish them. Great way to pick colors.

I'm not sure the conversion from size A wrapping thread to denier or _ /0 tying sizes. Would be interested to know.
Danville Flymaster tying thread is labeled Size A, over 230 denier. I don't know if it waxed or not, doesn't say that it is though. And at $1.65 a spool is good deal. I reckon I'll have to make a pit stop at the fly shop soon. Speaking of, TU is putting on a tying clinic tomorrow, so I'll probably stock up on materials there. Doug Swisher will there, pretty excited about that.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:27 PM

petee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to behold

Waxed thread is a huge problem for finishes. Plus with tying threads you never know if there is silicone or some other contaminant on the thread that will affect the finish. If you go to you local fabric store you can probably find some YLI silk. It doesn't stretch like nylon or polyester threads, but it usually is contaminant free.

I have used Sulky or Maderia embroidery thread, but you have to use Color Preserver to cover them as they are silicone impregnated for the use in embroidery machines.

Best bet, order some thread such as Glubrod, Fish Hawk or PacBay. Those threads are made for rod building and won't have the contaminants or fuzzies you can get with either tying thread, or sewing threads.

Just my $.02,

Pete
Old 01-25-2013, 10:07 PM

frogg will become famous soon enoughfrogg will become famous soon enough

Rod wrapping thread really isn't a large expense. Get the "right tool for the job".

Rod Winding Thread from Top Manufacturers | mudhole.com
and
Fishing Rod Wrapping Thread, Custom Rod Building Thread
are two suppliers I use.

Chris
fysh likes this.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:15 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

The expense comes if you order a spool then realize you want a different one... you pay a bunch of shipping. I also buy from J Stockard and Acid Rod. I usually order a bunch of colors at once to make the shipping worth it.
fysh likes this.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamhj View Post
The expense comes if you order a spool then realize you want a different one... you pay a bunch of shipping. I also buy from J Stockard and Acid Rod. I usually order a bunch of colors at once to make the shipping worth it.
Right. Thanks guys but my original point was regarding getting the right color. Other is nowhere I've found nearby that stocks a wide variety of gudebrod and picking a color based on crappy little pictures on the web doesn't help much. Conversely, I have every color of tying thread and found a few that look really good. That's all.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:52 PM

Hey if you have time, do some wraps even on a dowel and put the finish on. I'd be interested to hear how it turns out.