The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2013, 04:45 PM

barham will become famous soon enough
Default Difference in weight of built rod from mfg's specs

I recently wrapped a TFO BVK 8wt 9ft with a detachable fighting butt. I did nothing fancy with the wrap and the rod came out at 5.1 ounces according to my little postage meter scale. On TFO's website it lists that rod at 3.6 ounces.
Can anyone explain the large discrepancy?
Thanks,
David
barham
Old 01-30-2013, 04:54 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Difference in weight of built rod from mfg's specs

Easy Dave. The manufacturer's spec is just for the bare rod. The balance is what you added with the rod build (cork, reel seat, etc)

fae
Old 01-30-2013, 07:04 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
Easy Dave. The manufacturer's spec is just for the bare rod. The balance is what you added with the rod build (cork, reel seat, etc)

fae
Or, he's using a heavier reel seat and grip, although the cork weighs very little. That's only an once and a half difference.
Old 01-30-2013, 07:19 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

You want to hear one that will make that little ounce and a half seem like nothing? I just weighed my Tibor 13/14/15 wt reel with my Carron JetSream line on it and it came out to 1 lb. 11 oz. and that's why I need the hairy chest.
Old 01-30-2013, 07:46 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
You want to hear one that will make that little ounce and a half seem like nothing? I just weighed my Tibor 13/14/15 wt reel with my Carron JetSream line on it and it came out to 1 lb. 11 oz. and that's why I need the hairy chest.
I ain't touching that with a 14' spey rod.......
Guest1 likes this.
Old 01-31-2013, 02:16 AM

newby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of light

Must be the components. I weighed my 9' 5wt TFO BVK factory fly rod and it came out to manufacturers specs- 2.9 oz. Yet I weighed my Winston BIIt 8' 3wt with a factory weight of 2.125 oz and it weighed 2.7, so different manufacturers use different ways of weighing. A shame really. (I don't think the nickle silver reel seat and box elder insert could make that much of a difference?).
Old 01-31-2013, 12:42 PM

Auntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
Swooning!!!
Guest1 likes this.
Old 04-07-2013, 11:04 PM

robert_nguyen is on a distinguished road

The components you use could be the reason why. Also believe it or not, the amount of flex coat could also be a factor. We get phone calls like this at work all the time. We even had people build rods that weigh less than ours
Old 04-08-2013, 12:56 AM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post

fae
Nope, that's the listed spec for the whole rod. (Actually the listed spec for a 9' 8 wt is 3.2 ounces.)

I should weigh mine and see how true that is.
Old 04-08-2013, 02:57 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

One rod being off vs another one that's dead on could very well be what the manufacturer weighed (or rather when). Just the blank, one number, built out another.

But for context the 'common penny' comes in at about 11 to the OZ 181/pound). Older pennies were at 145/pound. So the game here is the listing is 1/2 oz off, we're actually talking about the weight of 5 or 6 pennies.