The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2013, 12:37 PM

pescador7 will become famous soon enough
Default New material idea

I am amazed by bamboo fly rods, true art and craftsmanship. I have a guava tree that I have used to make slingshots out of and there very durable.(I'm 16). Now the big idea, To make a fly rod out of guava wood. I have done some research but couldn't find whether if it was stronger than bamboo. Just an idea I have based on the experience I have with it. Opinions highly welcomed.
Old 02-02-2013, 01:30 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New material idea

It would be very interesting to try. There is a lot to making a split bamboo blank. I would think if you were to do it you would be better off duplicating the split part with the Guava wood. You could do it with a table saw and hand planers. They have set of planing jigs for doing bamboo you would need to either buy or replicate yourself. The best place to just get an idea what would be involved in replicating a bamboo blank would be to look at Golden Witch and see what they have for tools and jigs. It would give you an idea of what's involved and then you can at least make an informed decision on whether to move forward on it.