The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2013, 07:18 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Down-locking reel seats threaded vs. slip rings?

You want cheap ? Cheap is my middle name.
They're probably too light weight for a 11' rod, but I like to use spinning rod reel seats...they're around 5 bucks for a good one and very light weight (which might not be what you're looking for). Then you'll need to add a butt cap, fighting butt, or simple glue a dime on the end..
Many official fly reel seats can be installed up or down, but you will need to add a butt cap..... they're like 50 cents tops

Schneiders often has some good deals on rod building supplies.... such as Pac-Bay reel seats half price
Old 02-23-2013, 11:47 AM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Thanks everyone!

Oarfish, I'm not sure what you mean by "pass through" seat.

Dave, that looks like the Struggle seat that are not being made anymore but are still available.

Bill, which threaded down lock seat do you use?

I'll be interested to hear about what you see at the show jackster.
Old 02-23-2013, 02:29 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
Bill, which threaded down lock seat do you use?
I either use Bellinger's 690 (pocketed end cap) or 660 it all depend on the size of the butt. Not too bad price wise.
Old 02-23-2013, 10:42 PM

petee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to behold

Lemke seats.

The one on the right is his down locking. The one on the left is his Titanium Spey seat. I turn my own inserts, but he offers inserts at an additional up charge.

Click the image to open in full size.

Not sure if I can give out the contact information on the forum since Joel and his distributor aren't sponsors so you can shoot me a PM, unless I hear its ok to post it. Sorry, Lemke seats aren't the cheapest on the market.... just one of the best. I don't usually do the cheapest route. Too many cheap seats have the plating start coming off.

Sliding band on smaller rods. I will put a sliding band on a four weight if the customer wants it, but usually I stick with three weight and under. And you also want one with a three degree bevel on the slider to keep the edge from cutting into the reel foot and it also adds more surface area to the bite. At least that's what I was taught when I started turning my own wedding band hardware.

Lots of personal opinion in my post.

Pete

Last edited by petee; 02-24-2013 at 12:15 AM.
Old 02-24-2013, 06:55 PM

oarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
You want cheap ? Cheap is my middle name.
They're probably too light weight for a 11' rod, but I like to use spinning rod reel seats...they're around 5 bucks for a good one and very light weight (which might not be what you're looking for). Then you'll need to add a butt cap, fighting butt, or simple glue a dime on the end..
Many official fly reel seats can be installed up or down, but you will need to add a butt cap..... they're like 50 cents tops

Schneiders often has some good deals on rod building supplies.... such as Pac-Bay reel seats half price
Dean a pass through is a seat you can put a blank through in any direction, but I blew it and thanks to Rip for waking me up, I only use spinning rod seats, there cheaper and they work fine for me, thanks Rip, I'm getting older.
Old 02-24-2013, 11:30 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

I took a gander at the rod builders show and ran across a real beauty from REC, the NSDS in the $50.00 range but can't tell you a thing about delivery.
You already know about Pac Bay seats. Other than those I didn't run across much to tell you. I was there for other reasons but even had the three other guys I rode with keep a lookout.
I reckon DL's aren't too popular since the big guns stopped offering them on their production rods.
Heck, I've been in a couple shops where the attendants never saw or used them they're that rare these days.
Old 02-25-2013, 12:08 AM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

although i was never a slide-band reel seat fan, i recently got a cabelas cgr glass with the sliding bands.
at first i hated it, but after a few casts, i felt it was a descent piece

Click the image to open in full size.

side note- i would never recommend a slide-band seat for a rod over a 4 wt.

casey

ARFE
Old 02-25-2013, 12:10 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Hey I almost forgot, check out the CSE seats offered through JD Wagner, pricey but some real nice woods and NS hardware.