The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Fly Rod Building (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-rod-building/)
-   -   Down-locking reel seats threaded vs. slip rings? (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-rod-building/311621-down-locking-reel-seats-threaded-vs-slip-rings.html)

dean_mt 02-22-2013 04:22 PM

Down-locking reel seats threaded vs. slip rings?

Hey there,

Well, I've been waiting for about 6 weeks for my reel seat from REC for the XP build that started talking about with you all back in December - and I just got word that is on it's way! Sheesh, it was supposed to be my winter project and now I'm going to have to work hard to get it done by spring fishing season...

o well

Anyway, during the long wait I went ahead and ordered another blank, an 11' 3/4wt. It was really cheap and I figured what the heck, I've been thinking about a loong nymph rod for a while. So I'm going to put it together with inexpensive components and gain a little more experience.

So I want a down-locking seat on this thing to help keep the tip up a little bit. The only threaded down-locking seats I've found are from Struble and PacBay, which is fine, I'm just wondering if there aren't any others out there. Of course there are slip ring seats but I always think of those for small rods.

Thanks for your thoughts on this.

Liphookedau 02-22-2013 04:38 PM

Re: Down-locking reel seats threaded vs. slip rings?

Hi John.
The Slip Rings I've seen were Mainly used on The Lightweight Rods,Hardy's used Them on their early Lightweight Split Cane Rods,I don't Go much on them as from what I've seen,even though They Really Lock The Reel Good & The Reel Poisition can be altered,The Ones I've seen The Rings had worn The Cork after considerable use,as well as The Rings Dirtied The Cork.
Check out Dave Winslow's Site,for future reference as he makes Some Beaut Inserts in all types of Burl,Acrylic Etc,with many different Seats.
If you have access to A Lathe where you can get The Inserts Drilled & Turned The Acrylic is available from Mudhole,Plus there are many other sites where they are available.
By The Way Where did you Buy your XP Blank?
Brian

dean_mt 02-22-2013 05:02 PM

Thanks Brian, I've seen Winslow's website, very nice inserts indeed. I do not have a lathe...someday!

I found the XP blank on the flebay, it's 9'6" 5wt. I can't wait to start putting it together. I sent some cork rings to Diver Dan to cut down for me and now that the seat and guides are on the way it shouldn't be long.

Maybe this is a silly question, it is the obvious question though: What are the reasons that one could/should not use an uplocking seat that has a standard shaped hood and just reverse it to make it lock down?

I am thinking about this type of seat (from ebay, looks good by the image and is pretty cheap)

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/SOLID-WALNUT-...c7L-(g~~_3.JPG

oarfish 02-22-2013 05:42 PM

Sounds like you want to use the fore grip to be part or the reel seat, I would use a pass through reel seat and turn it in any direction you want, you can get seat caps or get a revomable fighting but insert and a little fighting butt and your set. Another choice which I have done with a pass through seat is to leave a couple of inches below the seat if you will the butt of the rod and make a very small fighting but from cork, just tring to give you a couple of options.

Rick

Guest1 02-22-2013 06:15 PM

I like uplocking on single hand rods because you can bury one hood under the grip. Just looks cleaner to me. I have never trusted slip rings. Plus I think they look cheap.

P.S. I'll have your rings in the mail Monday.

littledavid123 02-22-2013 07:30 PM

John, you could probably order a set of downlocking from Orvis like the ones I had installed on the F&F. They are aluminum but have a clean look to them.

[IMG]http://i1068.photobucket.com/albums/...ps8302af78.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i1068.photobucket.com/albums/...psc058c609.jpg[/IMG]

Dave

williamhj 02-22-2013 10:55 PM

I put a downlocking slide ring seat on one rod and regret it. It works fine 99% of the time until I hooked a nice fish and instinctively put the rod butt against my body, bumped the reel and it dropped into the water... oops. I've used a number of Dave Winslow's seats and he's great to work with, beautiful insert options. I asked him about making them downlocking and he didn't recommend it. I think it had to do with placing pressure on the butt cap sometimes causing the epoxy to fail, but I'm not sure.

Liphookedau 02-22-2013 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dean_mt (Post 529843)
Thanks Brian, I've seen Winslow's website, very nice inserts indeed. I do not have a lathe...someday!

I found the XP blank on the flebay, it's 9'6" 5wt. I can't wait to start putting it together. I sent some cork rings to Diver Dan to cut down for me and now that the seat and guides are on the way it shouldn't be long.

Maybe this is a silly question, it is the obvious question though: What are the reasons that one could/should not use an uplocking seat that has a standard shaped hood and just reverse it to make it lock down?

I am thinking about this type of seat (from ebay, looks good by the image and is pretty cheap)

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/SOLID-WALNUT-...c7L-(g~~_3.JPG

I suppose it's up to The Rod Maker or Customer which seat they want,

The Main answer I can come up with is,as I once had a Rod with a Downlocking Seat.
With The Uplocking Seat The Reel is Locked more securely into The Handle,whereas with Downlocking Seats when The nut/nuts are tightened The Force acts towards The Rear of The seat & there is a possability everything could come adrift.
That's what happenned to my Old Rod,after years of use as it was one of The early Flimsy Aluminium Seats everyone used so I Turned a New End Cap & Pinned it in Position.
I Finally gave it to a Mate to use for A Blackfish Rod as it was an Old 9'6" Fibreglass Rod & Everyone can imagine The Weight of it.
Another thing The Position of The Reel can effect The Balance of The Rod.

Dave I like your Downlocking Seat,looks real top Quality.
Also I've bought heaps of Different Cork Rings & am going to experiment with Different Butt Designs along The same Lines as Dan's.
Brian

wt bash 02-23-2013 12:31 AM

Its all in the prep work you do before gluing the end cap. You really need to score the inside. Take a bent nail and really scratch up the inside. I use slip rings for 5 and under and down locking threaded barrel on heavier. Another thing with down locking, if the insert is cork you HAVE to put a wood ring under the end cap. Cork dosen't offer the best surface to glue NS to.

Jackster 02-23-2013 06:25 AM

I'm off to the rod builders show in Highpoint NC in a bit. I'll make a note of any down-lockers I come across.