The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By brookfieldangler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2013, 11:34 AM

mofis is on a distinguished road
Default Streamer fly rod blank

What blanks should I be considering,This will be for bigger trout with weighted and unweighted fly's.Most of my streamers are up to five to six inches long.
Im in the 200 dollar and less area.Bang for the buck.
Old 02-25-2013, 11:50 AM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Streamer fly rod blank

Are you thinking a 7wt or so? For 200 bucks I think you'll have a number of options. I am a fan of a Batson RX8 I fished a bit, that one was in 8wt. But both their RX7 and RX8 are in your budget. Some TFO blanks are also in that range as are MHX blanks on Mudhole. Heard great things about the latter.
Old 02-25-2013, 11:59 AM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold

I have blanks from both Batson and Mudhole.

The mudhole MHX blank has proved itself to be incredibly durable. I would describe the action as medium with a touch of fast. Very smooth. I have it in a 6wt

The RX7 I have is a 2wt and seems to be closer to the fast end - haven't had it long enough to say much about its durability.

The RX8 I have is a 9wt. They describe this rod as rifle fast which made me a bit nervous. Once I started casting it though, I would say that it is fast but not rifle fast. It's also a very durable rod capable of throwing some big flies quite a ways.
williamhj likes this.
Old 02-25-2013, 12:08 PM

Those are the blanks Ive been pondering and I'm leaning towards the Batson.
7 WT would do the job for sure.Yeah Ive heard and read nothing but good things to about all three brands.Thanks!

---------- Post added at 12:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:03 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookfieldangler View Post
I have blanks from both Batson and Mudhole.

The mudhole MHX blank has proved itself to be incredibly durable. I would describe the action as medium with a touch of fast. Very smooth. I have it in a 6wt

The RX7 I have is a 2wt and seems to be closer to the fast end - haven't had it long enough to say much about its durability.

The RX8 I have is a 9wt. They describe this rod as rifle fast which made me a bit nervous. Once I started casting it though, I would say that it is fast but not rifle fast. It's also a very durable rod capable of throwing some big flies quite a ways.
I like the sound of durability.Thanks
Old 02-28-2013, 10:40 PM

pegboy1 has a spectacular aura aboutpegboy1 has a spectacular aura about

Take a look at PacBay Quickline blanks. IMO the best builder blanks currently on the market.
Old 03-01-2013, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegboy1 View Post
Take a look at PacBay Quickline blanks. IMO the best builder blanks currently on the market.
Yes I will,thank you, I forgot to look at that line and have read mention of them.