The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

Like Tree54Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2013, 07:41 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Turning wood for rods

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubberguy View Post
yes, there is glue on the blank (3/8") but it doesn't go all the way to the bottom of the cork. I only usually have 2 or 3 fingers on the bottom end, guess I must not be pulling in correctly.
By "pulling in" I'm going to assume you are Scandi casting. And by "there is glue on the blank (3/8") but it doesn't go all the way to the bottom of the cork" I'm going to assume the hole in the cork goes farther than the blank does.

Assuming I assumed right, and I assume I assumed right...... I'm sorry, I got carried away there. But assuming I did, I think you have two things working together to make for the problem you have.

When you build the butt section of the rod you start with the bottom grip. It should have been placed all the way through except the last ¼" or so. Just enough to hide the end of the blank. This is especially important if it is meant to be underhand casted, because the cork alone is not tough enough to withstand being yanked into your gut repeatedly. They should also have glued the end of the blank better so that if you did yank the end off there should not be any exposed blank. What I believe you have there is a mistake in the build, not really what you are doing.

How far does the hole go past the end of the blank? This will make the difference between bad design and bad build. As I said the problem is fixable. If I were to do it, I would stick it in a rod lathe. Do you know anyone that has one? Go up at good inch past your glue line and cut straight down into the cork, but DO NOT HIT THE BLANK. Get close and get the rest by hand. Then get a good chunk of rubberized cork or stabilized wood. Mic the cork at the end of your cut. Turn the new piece just a tiny bit smaller than your cork where they will meet and finish it. You will have to eyeball the curvature, or you can scribe the grip as it is now on a piece if thin cardboard like you get in a shirt, using a compass. The divider looking thing with a pencil in one end. If you go to the lumber yard tell them you want a brass scribe. Cost something like $2.00. If you have never done it, PM me and I'll talk you through it. It's easy.

Have you ever scribed anything before? If not, do you know any really good finish carpenters? See, if you can scribe the shape and cut it out of a chunk of cardboard, you can perfectly match the curves of what you have right now and blend the new piece in like it was always there.

The reason I said turn the new piece just slightly smaller than the original end, is so you can turn the softer cork down to the harder wood with fine sandpaper and make the joint perfect.

I would also make the new piece a tad shorter so the blank makes it pretty close to the end, that or find a rod builder or busted rods, and get some blank chunks and build the end of the blank back out to where it should be. It doesn't have to be pretty because you are just going to bury it anyway.
Old 03-20-2013, 08:25 PM

rubberguy is a jewel in the roughrubberguy is a jewel in the roughrubberguy is a jewel in the rough

thanks for your help on this Dan. the rod is an ACR1266, it should've been built correctly? scribe something will be no problem. maybe i'll take your advice and just re-do the last few inches. thanx again. i'll let ya know what happens.
Old 03-21-2013, 02:24 PM
Banned

Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Well I have been trying to get a good chunk of wood from this guy and the competition is stiff to say the least. I just got off the phone with him and he said if you think it's bad now you should have seen it 5 years ago before the economy tanked. His wood was bringing in a lot more money than it is now.

This is a chunk he was selling on Ebay so you can get an idea what his stuff is going for. The bottom one in my original post went for well over $100. This one went from $99 to $147 in the last 10 seconds. $ wood chunk $

This is the guys website. Craig Stevens Studio

As I said I talked to him for a bit. This stuff was going for so much money I decided to statrt doing it myself and wanted to know what dye he was using in the resin. He didn't want to give out trade secrets but he did give me a few. Just not which dye. Really nice guy though. Even though he didn't give up the dye secret, it was well worth the call.

I now have the stabizing vacuum chamber, the acrylic resin and the vacuum pump is on the way. As soon as I figure out what the best dye to use is, I'll be set to wreck some wood.
sumojo, rubberguy and jeepster II like this.
Old 04-17-2013, 06:17 PM
Banned

Well I got all of the stuff. I have done about half a dozen pieces so far and this is my favorite of the bunch. It's Buckeye burl. I just double dyed/stabilized a chunk of Redwood burl. It will be interesting to see what that looks like cleaned up.
Click the image to open in full size.

That bright edge on the corner is from the flash. The piece does not really have that. I really like this one.
rubberguy and jeepster II like this.
Old 04-17-2013, 06:55 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I have a bunch of them for you out at the cabin, are you going to come to pick them up? These are spruce & birch.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-17-2013, 07:42 PM
Banned

Thanks Ard. Barring any more disasters I am coming up this Summer. They haven't cancelled Summer yet have they? Pretty sure they cancelled Spring.
Old 04-17-2013, 10:28 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

Since it has not started I really don't know. I have a guy going out to pike fish when the ice goes out on the lake, I'll let you know how that goes.
Guest1 likes this.

Old 04-17-2013, 10:45 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

hey dan,
that guys studio is only about 12 miles from where i grew up
right near a really nice stretch of the river.
he does some amazing work!
that stabilized wood he is selling sure is cool, i would love to
have a custom knife with the handle scales made out of that.
hmmmmmm

casey

ARFE
Old 04-17-2013, 11:17 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseywise View Post
hey dan,
that guys studio is only about 12 miles from where i grew up
right near a really nice stretch of the river.
he does some amazing work!
that stabilized wood he is selling sure is cool, i would love to
have a custom knife with the handle scales made out of that.
hmmmmmm

casey
Casey,

Yeah, on the left when I'm driving toward Homer correct? I've never stopped but noticed his sign every trip.

Old 04-17-2013, 11:25 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

thats the guy.....

ARFE