The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

Like Tree54Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2013, 04:16 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Turning wood for rods

I turn most of my wood I do for rods. Reel seat inserts, grips, trim etc. I have always had a hard time getting really good stuff to turn it with. Well those days are over. Take a look at what this guy I found is doing with stabilizing wood.

Click the image to open in full size.

And it's cheaper than the stuff I got before that was double dyed stabilized. Great stuff huh?

Anybody else turn wood also?
mojo, fredaevans, oarfish and 5 others like this.
Old 03-05-2013, 06:03 AM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice
Default Re: Turning wood for rods

I don't turn wood per say, but I do love working with unique pieces of wood, for knife handles and other little projects.

Some real nice local birds eye maple heart wood on a Enzo Trapper blade from Finland.

Another knife handle in African Bloodwood. Nice deep red color and hard as nails.

Here's a piece of black cankered white birch I pulled from the wood pile and made a bowl for the car keys. Love how the disease affected the grain.
mojo, Guest1, Rip Tide and 7 others like this.
Old 03-05-2013, 06:54 AM

petee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to behold

I turn my own inserts, wood winding checks and machine wedding band hardware. Haven't graduated to machining threaded hardware....yet. Stablize my own wood, but have never dabbled in dying let alone double dying. That's some classic looking stuff. Care to PM his contact information?
Old 03-05-2013, 11:45 AM

frogg will become famous soon enoughfrogg will become famous soon enough

Nice wood, Dan

I turn a lot of pens and bottle stoppers:

As well as inserts and grips:

African blackwood insert and grip

Celtic knot

Handle of latest raffle rod:

Chris
mojo, Guest1, jpbfly and 6 others like this.
Old 03-05-2013, 12:30 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Saving my pennies for a lathe, hopefully they start adding up!
Old 03-05-2013, 12:59 PM
Banned

Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by wt bash View Post
I save all of my change. I never use change even if it is a total the ends with a single penny. In fact I like that better. It is amazing how fast that adds up. Plus you never really miss it because it's just change.

Some of the stuff I got with pocket change by never spending it, the Oldsmobile Achieva with the hail damage I mentioned in the fishing car thread, took my butthead ex to Mazatlan on pocket change, my Meiser, my 10 wt. Winston, a lot of things I have.

The guy has a lot of knife scales as well. Some that have to be seen to be believed. I have had a hard time finding stabilized wood big enough to do rod parts. All kinds of people have stuff for pens. Unfortunately pen blanks are just a tad to small to be useful. I've never seen a better job of double dyed stabilizing. Awsome stuff.

He's an artist up in Alaska.
Old 03-05-2013, 01:05 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by wt bash View Post
You can make a few bucks by selling a few of those pre-varnished BashBoo blanks...
Guest1 likes this.
Old 03-05-2013, 04:32 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

I'm heading to Rosemont hopefully by the end of this month or sometime in April to pick up a bundle so I have some materials and I just might have to do that. I've got another two sitting here but one is spoken for and the other is all mine .
Old 03-05-2013, 06:35 PM

jeepster II is a glorious beacon of lightjeepster II is a glorious beacon of lightjeepster II is a glorious beacon of lightjeepster II is a glorious beacon of lightjeepster II is a glorious beacon of lightjeepster II is a glorious beacon of light

Everyone gets a thumbs up on this thread. I don't turn for rods but I turned a lot of materials as a journeyman machinist for 40 years. Then I turned designer before retiring. Keep up the good work.

I'll side track you with a couple.

single point acme thread vespel worm

3 wire measure

naval brass turret worm wheel with vespel worm
mojo, Guest1, swirlchaser and 4 others like this.
Old 03-06-2013, 10:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by petee View Post
Care to PM his contact information?
I missed this when you first posted it. As soon as I get a couple pieces for rods I have planned I'll just post it. He has a limited amount of stuff on hand and I don't wanna share till I get the ones I want. After that it's free for all time.
petee likes this.