The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2013, 02:28 PM

sumojo will become famous soon enough
Unhappy Re: Sage XP 596

Wow that is Awesome well done on the winding. Like the cork looks sweet .
dean_mt likes this.

Last edited by sumojo; 03-24-2013 at 04:41 PM.
Old 04-23-2013, 01:27 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future
Default Re: Sage XP 596

I finally finished the rod and got it out fishing last weekend, as you probably already know.

I was slightly disappointed in the final product after getting the finish on the rod. The light gray I chose for the trim wraps was meant to compliment the light pewter color anodized reel seat. And I am happy overall with the colors. But the tags of the gray NCP thread's bands are clearly visible under the nylon wraps. That bummed me out ... until I went to the shop and looked at some $700+ Loomis rods that had the same look, only sloppier. The tags of their trim wraps where long, inconsistent and plain bad. So then I felt a better about my job.

Though I used "flor grade" cork there were inevitable pits. I used Elmer's wood filler as recommended by more that one person but it is far too light and doesn't match the cork. I am hoping it will soil with use.

Other than that, I am pleased with the finish. I used Thread Master Lite for first time and appreciated all the qualities and characteristic they tout: easy mixing, long pot life, very little air bubble issues and great crystal clear finish. I focused on making a smooth, even surface by hand rotating the rod every 20 minutes or so while watching for sags and brushing them out, then rotating 180 degrees and waiting again. After a few reps of that I let it turn overnight.

Insights and critiques are welcome and encouraged! I am still learning quite a bit after this, my 5th rod.

Click the image to open in full size.

The light trim band tags can be seen here on the guide wrap:
Click the image to open in full size.
wt bash and noreaster like this.
Old 04-23-2013, 01:40 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Wicked bro!!!
dean_mt likes this.
Old 04-23-2013, 01:47 PM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice

I think you did an outstanding job.
Go forth and fish with pride!
dean_mt likes this.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:00 PM

random user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the rough

Some things simply astound and amaze me. This is one of them.
dean_mt likes this.