The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

Like Tree34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2013, 06:33 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just finished a new toy.

Looks great; hope it becomes a fish magnet for you!

Pocono
Old 03-09-2013, 10:30 AM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like you've done a great job with that rod. The feather inlay looks great and the reel seat is gorgeous. I have a factory version of the same rod that is my go to single hand rod for steelhead. You're going to really enjoy this one. Nicely done!
Guest1 likes this.
Old 03-09-2013, 11:25 AM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute

Sweet Dan! I was considering a burgandy thread go with the dark green, I'll keep purple in mind for the next time.
Old 03-09-2013, 12:08 PM

frogg will become famous soon enoughfrogg will become famous soon enough

Very nicely done, Dan!

Chris
Old 03-09-2013, 02:12 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
Sweet Dan! I was considering a burgandy thread go with the dark green, I'll keep purple in mind for the next time.
I was just thinking about Burgandy for that 17'er I was talking about. I have a teal I was thinking about also. The blank is that dark T&T blue.

By the way, I just spined the rod and have to say, it is the most perfect multi piece blank I have ever touched in my life. The tip section is as straight as a laser beam. It's the only peice that wasn't really hard to find the spine on. It has a spine, the rest either don't or barely do. The piece next to the tip is spinless and the next two barely have one. I'm not sure who designed the blank but it is awsome. They did an amazing job making it. It is flawless.

I am going to spend a lot more time on the grip than I did the Winston. I cut a set of trim bands for the grips that are really interesting. Instead of checkers, I made a an overlapping zig-zaggy dark cork line set in nice white cork. I'll have to take some photos when I get it done.
wt bash, williamhj and rubberguy like this.
Old 03-09-2013, 05:45 PM

rockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to all

Absolutely perfection at it's best. Beautiful work Dan.
Guest1 likes this.
Old 03-09-2013, 07:18 PM

imxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of light

Dan

Love the "Classic" fly rod look. Beautifully done.

paul
Guest1 likes this.

Nature, Cheaper than Therapy

LIVE TODAY
Old 03-10-2013, 01:46 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

OK, I just finished making the sock and the bag for the rod tube. I may be one of the few people around who make a case for their case. They are easy to do and my rod tubes all look pretty much like new.

I didn't have green thread for the sock, which kind of sucked. I don't have anyplace in town to buy it anymore. The recession has taken out both of the places that did. I have to travel at least 45 miles now to get it. I did have purple and thought it went with the rod anyway so I used it. If I had green I would have used it. I used to have a logo embroidered on the socks, and still do sometimes, but this I can do myself. The color on the rod came out better in this photo. The feather inlay is easier to see. In real life the purple is darker than in the photo and so is the grey the inlay is on. Closer to the first photos. I used a flash this time and it made stuff hop out in the photo.

Click the image to open in full size.

I made The sock for the photo out of this thick cloth that looks like dyed suede. Feels like it as well. Great stuff. It also hides the fact it's a fly rod case. Not really a problem up here. Up here they might steal it because the thought it was a cool package for a case of cigarettes. Anyway, less likely that they would want to steal it if they don't know what it is.

Click the image to open in full size.
sumojo and rubberguy like this.
Old 03-10-2013, 01:54 AM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

If there's a thread you can't get in town let me know. We've got a store close by and it would be easy to drop in the mail. My wife has started making rod bags for me. Look good sizd right, and tons of color options.
Old 03-10-2013, 02:00 AM

kayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to all

Nice job dude.