The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

Like Tree34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2013, 11:40 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Just finished a new toy.

I just finished a 10' 7 wt. BIIX R.L. Winston. I don't remember who it was, somebody very wise, said "You can never have to many rods." Actually, that might have been me.

I just did a plain cork grip. I decided not to go overboard with this one.

Here is the feather inlay. I really like the way it turned out. Kind of has a flame look to it.
Click the image to open in full size.

Here is the first stripper guide and the wrap. It hit the first ferrule so I went a tad long on the wrap so the guide was in the exact spot. It has a two turn green metallic trim band on the end and in the middle of a purple wrap. I just like the way purple looks on green That first stripper is the only one with a trim band in the middle. All the ferrules have on though. The strippers are Pac Bay N style. I like them for strippers because they have less frame and have the snake guide look to them. Seem more fitting with the fly rod look. They are also the irredescent finish that unfortunately they have discontinued. I still have a spare for everything in the event I damage a guide or tip in the future.

Here is the reel seat. Has a nice burl insert.

I got a tube from Winston to go along with it.

I am making a sock for it, and also one for the tube. I will probably label the cap. I almost always do. I'll post a photo of those when I am done.
imxer, Pocono, mcnerney and 12 others like this.
Old 03-08-2013, 11:44 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future
Default Re: Just finished a new toy.

Is it a two hander or just a long single? Either way I dig it, I like the way the green jumps out from the purple wraps.
Old 03-08-2013, 11:45 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

wow dan!!
what a beautiful rod
nicely done as usual

casey

ARFE
Old 03-08-2013, 11:48 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Very nice, simply and classy with a nice feather inlay. Isn't a 9' rod considered short for you?

You can never have too many rods... sounds right to me!
Old 03-08-2013, 11:49 PM

jsquires has a spectacular aura aboutjsquires has a spectacular aura about

Piece of art, in my opinion.
Guest1 likes this.
Old 03-08-2013, 11:58 PM
Banned

Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Long single hander. Yah I like the way the purple looks also. This color combo is one I got from a lady I know. My taste in color combos is like most guys. I dig through my least dirty clothes and that's my color coordination. Well maybe not that bad, but you know what I mean.

Women have been coordinating colors since the got their first Barbie. My whole schooling on color was Dress Blues in winter, Dress Whites in summer. More than once I have asked women what colors would look best on a rod and have been glad I did. This combo is one.

I have that Trevor Morgan single hand WF7F line that spey casts like a rocket. It should really work well on this rod. I can't wait for the ice to go out and use this. Unfortunately it has been so stinking cold up here we are still building ice. I drilled holes last week and had almost 3' of ice on the river. I have a photo I should post. You know the bridge you see in so many of my photos. I have a picture of three full size trucks and a track vehicle with a plow parked together just up river of the bridges. We were well below 0 at night up here the last few days. Wednesday night it was -11 when I went to bed. So much for Spring.
Old 03-08-2013, 11:59 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

but dan, it's not a 20' 12 wt.....

casey
fysh, mcnerney and Guest1 like this.

ARFE
Old 03-09-2013, 12:06 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseywise View Post
but dan, it's not a 20' 12 wt.....

casey
No, but before the ice goes it I am going to finish my 17' 11 wt.

Thomas and Thomas rolled the blank special for me. How nice of them huh? That nice T&T blue.

The way I got it was calling and asking if I could get something with the casting man logo on it for the weave pattern on that 14' 9 wt. I did. Just in a passing comment I asked them what the biggest rod they ever made was. They said that 17'er. I asked if they still made it, and they said no. I said to bad, because I would love to build one. The guy went, "Oh, we can roll you one." How great is that?
mcnerney and rubberguy like this.
Old 03-09-2013, 12:47 AM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

As usual Dan, beautiful work.
Guest1 likes this.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 03-09-2013, 01:07 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

That's a beautiful toy Dan....hope you find a 20' blank...or rod
Guest1 likes this.