The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2013, 11:18 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ferrule wrap issue, I want your opinion

Nice look John! Good to see some originality! Looking foward to the end result!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 03-11-2013, 11:26 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I'd leave it long. Not sure what the finish would look like after being hit with a pad, flex coat or not. Just for future reference, I never do the scotch brite thing. I just go over the blanks finish. I have never had a problem and in fact have never heard you need to do it.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:22 AM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
I'd leave it long. Not sure what the finish would look like after being hit with a pad, flex coat or not. Just for future reference, I never do the scotch brite thing. I just go over the blanks finish. I have never had a problem and in fact have never heard you need to do it.
I read an interesting article on blank prep and epoxy adhesion. The writer admitted that it is not necessary as no factory rods are prepared this way and rarely does the epoxy fail. I decided to go with the extra step of prepping the blank to a "water break free" surface due to what I've read about care needed in mounting Recoil guides. If not properly wound with good epoxy penetration and adhesion they can slip free, due to the material's pliable nature. I know it was completely unnecessary for the ferrule where there isn't a foot to worry about, I just thought I'd do it. Live and learn.
Old 03-12-2013, 10:49 AM

frogg will become famous soon enoughfrogg will become famous soon enough

While reading the first page of this, I was wondering why you "prepped" the blank. I've never done it myself, and have never heard of anyone else doing it either. Ahhh, page two, got my answer...nevermind.
Anywho, I like the first design. I like the trim on the open end. Not sure about the trim bands in the gold area.
But it's your rod, and like everyone has already said, there are no rules in custom rod building.

Chris
Old 03-12-2013, 12:31 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Very nice job on both JohnI prefer the second one... but don't ask me why
Old 03-12-2013, 08:35 PM

biggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
I read an interesting article on blank prep and epoxy adhesion. The writer admitted that it is not necessary as no factory rods are prepared this way and rarely does the epoxy fail. I decided to go with the extra step of prepping the blank to a "water break free" surface due to what I've read about care needed in mounting Recoil guides. If not properly wound with good epoxy penetration and adhesion they can slip free, due to the material's pliable nature. I know it was completely unnecessary for the ferrule where there isn't a foot to worry about, I just thought I'd do it. Live and learn.
First, I think the long wrap looks pretty cool and would keep it.

Second, I almost always use recoil guides and have never had any slippage issues. I never use CP and always use Flex Coat lite (2-3 coats), FYI.

In any case, congrats on a nice looking wrap and build!
Old 03-13-2013, 08:50 AM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Thanks Rob. Good to know about the Recoils, I've never used them and just wanted to take proper precautions after what I'd heard from some other folks. A lot of guys' problem seemed to stem from filing down too much foot. I guess that paddle-shaped foot is there for a reason! Not having fished them yet, I like the guides a lot, nice wide hoop and very consistent and flat feet.
Old 03-14-2013, 01:03 PM

Auntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to all

I, too, like the second wrap ... a LOT!!!
dean_mt likes this.
Old 03-14-2013, 01:31 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
I decided to go with the extra step of prepping the blank to a "water break free" surface due to what I've read about care needed in mounting Recoil guides. If not properly wound with good epoxy penetration and adhesion they can slip free, due to the material's pliable nature. I know it was completely unnecessary for the ferrule where there isn't a foot to worry about, I just thought I'd do it. Live and learn.
Actually if you are worried about the foot slipping, and you should only worry in the case of single foot guides, you can wrap a few turns past the foot. Plus you should get the flex coat onto the blank on both sides of the wrap and that will also stop it. With a snake guide, you have wraps at both ends. Where's it going to go?

By the way, I have almost universally used color preserver, and make sure I get it inside next to the fool in the gap, along with the flex coat. I have never had any kind of problem with any kind of guide.
Old 03-14-2013, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
Actually if you are worried about the foot slipping, and you should only worry in the case of single foot guides, you can wrap a few turns past the foot. Plus you should get the flex coat onto the blank on both sides of the wrap and that will also stop it. With a snake guide, you have wraps at both ends. Where's it going to go?

By the way, I have almost universally used color preserver, and make sure I get it inside next to the fool in the gap, along with the flex coat. I have never had any kind of problem with any kind of guide.
Dan, the Recoil guides are a proprietary Nickle Titanium that bends and flexes but goes back to it's original shape unlike a rigid stainless steel guide. So even with both feet tied down it is possible for pressure on one side of the hoop move just that one foot. Anyway, like I said, from what I've read about users experiences, the slippage occurs on the light wire versions mostly and when the feet are file down too far. The feet are a unique "paddle shape" I'll call it. Rather than tapering to a thinner point at the end, they widen and end in a flat rounded shape. I believe this helps to lock them in when tied on.

At any rate, like I said, I just felt like taking the extra step...apparently to make more work for myself!

Anyone interested to follow along, I am updating the thread titled "Sage XP 596" as I make progress.

---------- Post added at 02:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:20 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auntie Em View Post
I, too, like the second wrap ... a LOT!!!
Thanks Auntie! I appreciate your experience and opinion.