The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2013, 11:31 AM

sumojo will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Old Bamboo Rods

I think i would leave the reel seats and just re wrap the guides or replace them if need be
Old 03-13-2013, 02:02 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumojo View Post
I think i would leave the reel seats and just re wrap the guides or replace them if need be
The reel seat on the Japanese rod is junk. It's very thin chromed brass over a pine dowel. In fact the rod itself isn't that great and never was.
The one that I had when I was a kid cost $3.
IMHO that rod would be a waste of effort unless you were to strip it down for parts for a "banty".

A banty is a short, light weight fly rod and they're often made from the tip and mid sections of a 9' bamboo rod. If you were to match the fly tip and mid from that rod and maybe include the butt section from above the grip this might be very possible.
But forget about that seat/grip. You'd need better (and smaller)
I suggest that you put that rod away for a while while you work on the other one. And once you have more experience, think about it

Last edited by Rip Tide; 03-13-2013 at 02:59 PM.
Old 03-13-2013, 02:59 PM

A banty sounds like it would work well I just looked it up .
Old 03-13-2013, 07:23 PM

Well I think I will look in to what needs done for the second one maybe make a banty rod

Last edited by sumojo; 03-13-2013 at 09:22 PM.
Old 03-14-2013, 03:21 PM

pjcalla is on a distinguished road

I don't mean to hijack your thread, but I'm in the same boat. I bought 3 Montague rods with some materials and supplies for $30 to my door with the intention of refinishing them for practice. I'm liking the "banty" idea for one of them. I have guides, ferrules, and thread (came with them). What is the first thing I do? Should I strip the old finish off, or just start wrapping guides? I searched for a "how-to" on this, but came up empty. Most of the threads about refinishing bamboo rods talked about what rod/condition they started with, but none were updated with the process or final product. Maybe we can change that this time. Obviously, I'm a complete noob. Thanks.

If you (op) want me to start a new thread, let me know.
Old 03-14-2013, 04:09 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

PJ.... where you start is relative to what needs to get done and how involved you want to get.
Some rods might need to be stripped down to the blank and then started over from scratch while others might just need a wipe down with some solvent.

I got a rod right here that I just cleaned up and repaired 2 wraps and now it's just waiting on some varnish
There's another rod in the other room that's completely stripped and waiting for me to get around to a complete re-build
Old 03-14-2013, 06:56 PM

Well, all the guides are off the rod (came that way). Not sure if I need to strip old finish off or not. It looks pretty good from what I can tell. These are my first bamboo rods, so not really sure what to look for besides a bubbled finish. I'll get some pics to show you what I'm working with. If anyone cares.
Old 03-15-2013, 06:05 AM

If the guides are off and the finish doesn't look bad, you can probably just clean up the existing finish with some mineral spirits and get to wrapping.
Measure out were the guides go first as the mineral spirits may erase the "ghosts"
Also be very careful around any markings or stickers that be harmed.
Old 03-15-2013, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
If the guides are off and the finish doesn't look bad, you can probably just clean up the existing finish with some mineral spirits and get to wrapping.
Measure out were the guides go first as the mineral spirits may erase the "ghosts"
Also be very careful around any markings or stickers that be harmed.
Thanks for the info. As for new guides, for the one I'm thinking of doing a banty, wouldn't I have to place them in different spots than original since I am changing the overall length?

Also, if you have any experience with making a banty from an old rod, would I have to take the ferule off the new butt section in order to put a new cork grip on? Or could I leave it on, and just put a new grip/reel seat over the top? Sorry for the newb questions.

Here are some pics of the rods in question:

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

Thanks for the help so far.
Old 03-16-2013, 09:54 PM

So you guys wheres a good place for guides and a new handle oh yeah and thread or would silk be better I know these are not the best rods but I would like to make them nice and not just put a bow on them . Because you can put a bow on a piece of poop and its still poop so to speak . I would like them to be better then that if im going to learn anything.