The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2013, 02:31 PM

sumojo will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Old Bamboo Rods

I was wondering how to take off the handle and the ferules do they need cut off ?
any help would be great .
Thanks Joseph

Last edited by sumojo; 03-27-2013 at 04:43 PM.
Old 03-27-2013, 02:45 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Heat gun, hair dryer (takes a while), or you can hold the butt/ferrules in boiling water but I wouldn't with cane. A heat gun is your best bet, set fairly low. If you don't have one the hair dryer is a good bailout.
sumojo likes this.
Old 03-27-2013, 06:51 PM

Thanks I will give it try tomorrow.
Old 03-28-2013, 02:25 PM

Got two of them what a job that was took foever with hair dryer so I will keep at it and get the others off. Then I can measure for some new ones and get them ordered and Order new handle and seat well afer I get it off too.
Thanks for the help .
Thanks Joseph
Old 03-28-2013, 04:14 PM

petee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to behold

Before you force the ferrules and seat off. Make sure they aren't pinned. If the seat is pinned it is usually will be with a small brad with a head on it in the butt end of the seat. The ferrules can be a different story. If they are pinned it can be difficult to see as they will be filed flush. Many a rod has been ruined because it wasn't checked for pins prior to taking it apart.

Pete
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 03-28-2013, 06:56 PM

One of the tips is split so I didn't take off the tip yet so im guessing this would have to epoxy to glue them back together .

Last edited by sumojo; 03-28-2013 at 09:24 PM.
Old 03-29-2013, 12:34 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumojo View Post
One of the tips is split so I didn't take off the tip yet so im guessing this would have to epoxy to glue them back together .
You mean the strips are demaminating ?
What you need to is open them up even more with a series of straight pins so that you can get as much glue in as possible
I'd use Gorilla Glue because it expands and will fill into areas that you couldn't reach with epoxy.
Then wrap the area with string to "clamp" it
Old 03-29-2013, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
You mean the strips are demaminating ?
What you need to is open them up even more with a series of straight pins so that you can get as much glue in as possible
I'd use Gorilla Glue because it expands and will fill into areas that you couldn't reach with epoxy.
Then wrap the area with string to "clamp" it
Yes the strips are coming apart a little bit . So I wil get them glued up before replacing the tip. Thanks Joseph
Old 03-29-2013, 10:05 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Be careful how you glue them back up. You don't want to accidentaly put a curve in the piece. I'd do a little research on refurbishing rods before you get started.
Old 03-30-2013, 06:18 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
Be careful how you glue them back up. You don't want to accidentaly put a curve in the piece. I'd do a little research on refurbishing rods before you get started.
Yeah, I probably shoulda mentioned that.
When you "clamp" with the string, you need to spiral up and spiral back, both with the same amount of tension to be sure that you're not forcing the piece to go one direction.
You only get one shot to get this right