The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2013, 10:02 PM

sumojo will become famous soon enough
Default Old Bamboo Rods

I Have Just recently got two old Bamboo Fly rod from a friend that i would like to fix up one is all there it just needs wrapped and the other one needs a lot of work i will take some pictures and post them up so you all can take a look.
Thanks Joseph
wt bash likes this.
Old 03-12-2013, 10:21 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Old Bamboo Rods

Before you do anything make sure it isn't a valuable rod. You can make a nice rod and take the value right out of it, all in one shot.
Old 03-12-2013, 11:42 PM

Ok uploading pics to photobucket right now

---------- Post added at 12:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:24 AM ----------

First rod.
Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.

---------- Post added at 12:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:37 AM ----------

Second Rod.
Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.
Old 03-13-2013, 02:31 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

OK, you are safe fixing them. Have you ever done it? If not, I can talk you through it. Also should have asked, do you build rods?
Auntie Em and sumojo like this.
Old 03-13-2013, 07:45 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

The second rod is a Japanese spin/fly. With that many separate sections you might be able put together a nice little "banty", but as is the rod is not something that you need to worry about restoring.

The first rod is probably a Shakespeare, but manufactured by one of the other major rod companies H-I, Monique, South Bend or maybe even Heddon
Whoever rebuilt it last time did a less than stellar job and it could use some love. Throw out those spinning rod guides and start fresh.
Even with the short tip, if there's no more unseen damage it might make for a decent fishin' pole
mcnerney, fredaevans and sumojo like this.
Old 03-13-2013, 08:32 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

I don't want to be the guy to poop in your proverbial cereal but you gotta lot of work there for some nothing special rods. You could definitely salvage a shorty from the Japanese rod but the top needs to be stripped and refinished, they'll both need new ferrules and that's around 60/70 bucks for a three piece. Most likely new seats which could run up pretty high as well. Factor in the time it all takes and its a fairly involved restoration. While bringing these old rods back to life is a lot of fun, it can also be a a lot of headaches, for the time, effort, and cost you might be better off buying a varnished/ferruled blank and finishing it. That said, it would be good practice for when you come across a banged up South Bend, Heddon, Orvis or Leonard. If you got the tools and the time go for it!
Old 03-13-2013, 08:51 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

On the first rod, can't see all the ferrules, but the ones shown look fine to me.
The same with the seat and grip.
The only cost (hopefully) would be 5-6 bucks for a set of guides plus some varnish.
Barring any unforeseen problems, a worth while project in my book.... especially if it's a first time practice/re-build

You could probably even salvage ferrules from the Japanese rod.... they're chromed brass and wouldn't be as nice as the nickle silver ones there now, but we're not expecting much anyway.
sumojo likes this.

Last edited by Rip Tide; 03-13-2013 at 11:18 AM.
Old 03-13-2013, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
OK, you are safe fixing them. Have you ever done it? If not, I can talk you through it. Also should have asked, do you build rods?
No Dan i have never done this before but will give it a go. And to your answer i do not Build rods but it dose looks interesting to me like something i could get in to and have some fun

---------- Post added at 12:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:03 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
The second rod is a Japanese spin/fly. With that many separate sections you might be able put together a nice little "banty", but as is the rod is not something that you need to worry about restoring.

The first rod is probably a Shakespeare, but manufactured by one of the other major rod companies H-I, Monique, South Bend or maybe even Heddon
Whoever rebuilt it last time did a less than stellar job and it could use some love. Throw out those spinning rod guides and start fresh.
Even with the short tip, if there's no more unseen damage it might make for a decent fishin' pole
Thanks RipTide i just didnt know if they we of any value only to me , i would like to fix them up to have a little project so to speak i would like fix them up to use them.

---------- Post added at 12:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:12 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by wt bash View Post
I don't want to be the guy to poop in your proverbial cereal but you gotta lot of work there for some nothing special rods. You could definitely salvage a shorty from the Japanese rod but the top needs to be stripped and refinished, they'll both need new ferrules and that's around 60/70 bucks for a three piece. Most likely new seats which could run up pretty high as well. Factor in the time it all takes and its a fairly involved restoration. While bringing these old rods back to life is a lot of fun, it can also be a a lot of headaches, for the time, effort, and cost you might be better off buying a varnished/ferruled blank and finishing it. That said, it would be good practice for when you come across a banged up South Bend, Heddon, Orvis or Leonard. If you got the tools and the time go for it!
Hey Wt Bash i do realize this is a big job and i thank you for the comments i think it would be a fun project for myself as far as restoring or just fixing these rods is the Question i should ask myself i guess. i have never done this before but am willing to give it a try and learn all about doing this.
Thanks Joseph
Old 03-13-2013, 11:22 AM

That reel seat looks like Bakelite and nicklesilver to me. I wouldn't ever replace that if I didn't have too !
In fact if I were to decide that rod was worth nothing more than a tomato stake, I'd salvage the reel seat for another project
Old 03-13-2013, 11:30 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Have fun with it and don't rush it, you're in a good place for questions and speed bumps here.
Auntie Em likes this.