The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2013, 11:19 AM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New life for an old soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by swirlchaser View Post
Lol, this one had the same guides. Gigantic, wire frame spinning guides.
Click the image to open in full size.
Haha! Welcome to back to the future! This old guys 13 ft Lami still has the jumbo wire guides,cork tape and the tape on reel seat!The base guide makes a real good towel rack as well as cup holder!I shouldn't make fun that stick hauled in some bruiser bass in its hay day!
swirlchaser likes this.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 03-18-2013, 11:21 AM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumojo View Post
Cup holder for your rod wow. Lol that's big.
Yup, it was a common belief back then that your stripper guide should be a little bit smaller than the spool diameter of a saltwater spinning reel. It was believed that it facilitated a better cast. It's funny because if you read up on Amtek's Microwave guide technology they now believe the exact opposite now!
Old 03-18-2013, 11:22 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

I can hear the line slapping through them as I type! With a west wind and a big spool you could practically put a Long A on the edge of the Mud Dump from the jetty in Asbury, but it would sound like a Huey was taking off!
swirlchaser likes this.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:24 AM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
Marco: Beautiful work as always!
Thanks Larry,

It's a race to finish everything on the bench before the season gets under way.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:34 AM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by wt bash View Post
I can hear the line slapping through them as I type! With a west wind and a big spool you could practically put a Long A on the edge of the Mud Dump from the jetty in Asbury, but it would sound like a Huey was taking off!
Yeah but you could only put that Bomber out that far if it was injected and you were using 12 lb Ande Pink!
Old 03-18-2013, 11:35 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by swirlchaser View Post
Yup, it was a common belief back then that your stripper guide should be a little bit smaller than the spool diameter of a saltwater spinning reel. It was believed that it facilitated a better cast. It's funny because if you read up on Amtek's Microwave guide technology they now believe the exact opposite now!
I wonder though if you took an old 700 Greenie and tried to cast with modern guides if that idea would be reversed? You could pop the spool out and eat a bowl of cereal in the housing!
Old 03-18-2013, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wt bash View Post
I wonder though if you took an old 700 Greenie and tried to cast with modern guides if that idea would be reversed? You could pop the spool out and eat a bowl of cereal in the housing!
I still have 2 706 greenies, I'll have to take one out of mothballs and try it out
Old 03-18-2013, 11:40 AM

706 casts the same on new and old , been there done that!
swirlchaser and wt bash like this.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboz View Post
Yeah but you could only put that Bomber out that far if it was injected and you were using 12 lb Ande Pink!
I bounced them off the old rail bridge abutments under the Sandy Hook bridge so much they took on enough water to out weigh an Ava 37! Haha was there any other line? I remember feeling like I was finally accepted when I spooled up in pink!
swirlchaser and theboz like this.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:48 AM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Man, that is awesome work!
swirlchaser likes this.