The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2013, 05:08 AM

plecain is just really niceplecain is just really niceplecain is just really niceplecain is just really niceplecain is just really nice
Default First rod advice

I'm retiring soon. I'd like to build a fly rod or two. My first attempt at rod building.

Should I start with cheap components - blank, reel seat, cork, etc.? This on the theory I'll likely have some things go wrong.

Or, should I start with more expensive components on the theory that most mistakes are fixable?

What say you, all?
Old 03-18-2013, 09:16 AM

Auntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to all
Default Re: First rod advice

At the top of this forum you'll find some pretty good reading (if I say so myself!!).

After you've read it ... my advise is: GO FOR IT!!!!! Go slow. HAVE FUN!!! We're always here to run interfearence. (Yes, that's inter FEAR ence) We'll get you through the fear, so you can have fun!!
Old 03-18-2013, 09:27 AM

plecain is just really niceplecain is just really niceplecain is just really niceplecain is just really niceplecain is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auntie Em View Post
At the top of this forum you'll find some pretty good reading (if I say so myself!!).

After you've read it ... my advise is: GO FOR IT!!!!! Go slow. HAVE FUN!!! We're always here to run interfearence. (Yes, that's inter FEAR ence) We'll get you through the fear, so you can have fun!!
I've read through those threads. Lots of information.

So, cheap components for the first effort, or not?
Old 03-18-2013, 09:35 AM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice

Go big or stay home!!! I know, easy for me to say. I think if you have the least bit of know how, go for the nice kit. This way you are more likely to "measure twice and cut once". If you are a complete newb to hand eye coordination then go cheap. With this kind of advice on hand I think you would be pleased to have a real heirloom when you are done. Just my 2 cents though. Good luck
Old 03-18-2013, 10:24 AM

Auntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to all

Get something you'll like and use. And you will use it, especially once you get used to the way it shines in the sunlight, and knowing you did this yourself!!

My first was a StCroix, bought all the parts separate, took my time, followed instructions (at least the ones I wanted to follow!), and had a ball. OK ... panic happened only a few times. That's when you walk away till your heart rate returns to normal ... then start again! NOTHING you put on is forever. You can change anything and everything however many times you feel the need to. All these many years later, I still use that rod, and love it! Have built scores since then, but always fall back to what I learned on that one.
Old 03-18-2013, 10:40 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I'd get a kit, but not the cheapest one. Get something that you're going to want to use.
My first 2 rods.... the 5wt I gave away, the 9wt gets little use.

Hook & Hackle is always having sales.
Today they've got the PacBay Rainforest kits on sale for not much over 100 bucks.. that's a nice rod IMO. I use my 8wt all the time.
Old 03-18-2013, 06:24 PM

petee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to behold

Might as well build something you will use. Either that or go cheap and either put the finished build in the closet to look back on as you improve or give it to a kid. They don't care what it looks like, they got a free rod.

Most everything can be fixed if you screw it up. About the only thing you can't save when you take it off is the cork. Finished guide wraps can be removed, tip-tops and even seats will come off with a little effort.

We won't tell you how to remove those unless you mess something up.

Welcome to the addiction,
Pete
Old 03-18-2013, 08:01 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

In some cases, spending less can mean more work. Snake guides are an example. You can find them for less than a buck each but the feet might require more prep to sit well on the blank, to clear off burrs, and to create a nice ramp for thread. I've found it worth it to spend the 2 or 3 bucks for Snake Brand guides (2 for bamboo as the feet are flat and 3 for graphite as the concave feet fit well on the round blank). They come out of the bag essentially ready to wrap. Another example can be pre-formed cork grips. I've bought some cheap ones that had the inlet cut already. Even though the reel seat 'fit' into the inlet the cork was so thin and dry that some cracks developed. I find it worth it to make my own and buy higher quality cork.

You don't need to buy a $50 reel seat or a $300 blank but I wouldn't skimp too much. If you're fishing the rod 2 years from now you might wish you could go back and give yourself another $40 to get a nicer seat or better cork, etc. And a bit more money for components that are easier to work with can make your first build experience much more enjoyable.