The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2013, 11:05 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Hobby to obsession

Beautiful job; right down to the choice of the roll top desk. Greatest thing going to keep 'little fingers' or cat paws off 'your stuff.'

fae
Old 03-20-2013, 11:21 AM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future
Default Re: Hobby to obsession

That is a beautiful little building Pete! I love it. I want it...OK, I want my own! 8x14, do you find it sufficient or after working in it do you wish you'd done anything differently? If my new home (on the lookout) doesn't have a space I can convert to a nice dedicated rod shop, I will consider building one.

And posts are a welcome addition here, hope you stick you around.
Old 03-20-2013, 11:21 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by petee View Post
Sumojo,
If you ever come to San Luis Obispo area look me up. I live about 15 minutes north of SLO. Total shop is 8' wide by 14' long outside dimensions. Let's just say finishing a 13' spey rod in one shot might be tricky.

Pete
Pete: That's interesting, I grew up in Arroyo Grande, CA and went to college at Cal Poly then entered the Air Force. That's a beautiful part of CA for sure. I wasn't into fly fishing back then, didn't get started until I was in the Air Force and stationed in Colorado Springs, CO.

Larry

Old 03-20-2013, 06:17 PM

petee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to behold

dean mt,

Anytime you can go bigger do it . 8'x14' can be a little cramped, but since rods are long and skinny everything works well. Besides anything bigger would have required a permit.
Old 04-08-2013, 01:22 AM

robert_nguyen is on a distinguished road

Very nice and clean setup I'm new to this fly rod thing but have been wrapping rods (saltwater conventional and freshwater conventional/spinning) for a while now. I used my power wrapper to wrap all of my fly rods. Is there an advantage of wrapping by hand that I'm missing?
Old 04-08-2013, 08:30 AM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice

If you are good at what you do, then an obsession could easily be said to be artistic passion or inspiration. Yeah, yeah, no obsession there just inspiration.
Rock on in you rod shed. Love itt.

Who said manufacturing in the USA was dead? Great little vertically integrated company there in the making.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:37 AM

Auntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to all

I'm sorry.
I am so totally stuck between the loving you and hating you right now .... gawd.

---------- Post added at 09:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:31 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert_nguyen View Post
Very nice and clean setup I'm new to this fly rod thing but have been wrapping rods (saltwater conventional and freshwater conventional/spinning) for a while now. I used my power wrapper to wrap all of my fly rods. Is there an advantage of wrapping by hand that I'm missing?
While I'm here ... <don't want to take away from Petee's post>

Wrapping by hand, rather than by a power wrapper, gives me the feel of everything I'm doing. I'm very AR, and I need to feel the threads/silks on my fingers to know it's exactly where I want it, or any tiny imperfection. Best take care of it before the finish goes on ....
mcnerney and jpbfly like this.
Old 04-08-2013, 10:21 AM

runningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of light

FALSE ADVERTISEMENT!!!!

That is not a cave, that is a mansion. Sweet.
Old 04-09-2013, 08:40 PM

robert_nguyen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auntie Em View Post
Wrapping by hand, rather than by a power wrapper, gives me the feel of everything I'm doing. I'm very AR, and I need to feel the threads/silks on my fingers to know it's exactly where I want it, or any tiny imperfection. Best take care of it before the finish goes on ....
Never looked at it that way. Are these setups expensive?
Old 04-10-2013, 10:26 AM

Auntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to all

Robert, the priciest things about the manual wrap are my fingers!! But, they are attached to the rest of me!
A rod wrapper can be as inexpensive as a notched box, a tea cup, a book, and your fingers. You just roll the blank in your fingers, and guide the thread/silk on to the blank as you go. I find it restful.