The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2013, 06:40 PM

petee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to behold
Default Hobby to obsession

New builders beware it can happen to you!!!! Since I am fairly new to the forum I thought I would show you what can happen when a hobby turns into a full blown addiction/obsession.

What started as a hobby on the kitchen table turned into a stand alone studio. Built the studio out of reclaimed lumber from a turn of the century building I took down for a buddy. Built it all from scratch including the cabinets. It's my man cave. Wife doesn't even have a key to the place .

Click the image to open in full size.

I build primarily Bamboo, then Fiberglass and finally if a customer wants it.... graphite . Ok, I confess I do have a Sage "One" 7116-4 switch on the bench for my own personal use.

Thanks for tolerating my ramblings on the addiction. So what does your shop look like?

Pete
Old 03-19-2013, 06:49 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Hobby to obsession

Superb looking cave!

I don't build rods. My basement looks like a tackle shop however. Fly tying & lure making are my addictions.

Plus, the collecting of tackle that I do, just things to fish with.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 03-19-2013, 10:27 PM

stuie675 will become famous soon enoughstuie675 will become famous soon enough

Where is the mini Kegrator?

Either way looks awesome.
Old 03-19-2013, 11:25 PM

sumojo will become famous soon enough

WOW now that is sick I love it that is so awesome what size is your man cave that thing is sweet .
Old 03-19-2013, 11:39 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

nice job pete!
thats quite a cave

now to dirty it up

casey

ARFE
Old 03-20-2013, 12:18 AM

petee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to behold

stuie675,
No beer, I need to be able to put the guides on straight

Sumojo,
If you ever come to San Luis Obispo area look me up. I live about 15 minutes north of SLO. Total shop is 8' wide by 14' long outside dimensions. Let's just say finishing a 13' spey rod in one shot might be tricky.

caseywise,
Trust me it's dirty right now. I have nine builds in various stages of work going on right now. Plus between planing Bamboo and turning cork handles.... well let's just say to took a while to clean it up enough to start applying finish.

Pete
Old 03-20-2013, 12:31 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Wonderful!would like to have such a cave
Old 03-20-2013, 07:39 AM

Eddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to behold

That is one sweet looking cave, well done Sir
Old 03-20-2013, 08:19 AM

nick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of light

Out of curiosity, what exactly is required to start out rod building, both in terms of money investment and equipment? I've thought about trying my hand at rod building but not sure what is needed to do so.
Old 03-20-2013, 10:49 AM

sumojo will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the invite Petee next time I go that way I will hit you up .
Thanks Joseph