The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By baseman1
  • 2 Post By frogg
  • 1 Post By Rip Tide

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2013, 09:07 PM

baseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nice
Default Fix 'er upper

Hi folks,
I am thinking about refinishing my great grandfathers old fiberglass rod as the handle and reel seat will spin at will on the blank. Any tips I should know about? If I start I will try to get pictures of my progress.
sumojo and frogg like this.

“Be patient and calm – for no one can catch fish in anger.” – Herbert Hoover
Old 03-20-2013, 10:11 AM

frogg will become famous soon enoughfrogg will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Fix 'er upper

If the grip and seat don't just pull off because they are loose, you may have to remove them by putting a plastic bag around them and place the end of the rod in boiling water for a few minutes. The heat will loosen the epoxy/glue that holds the handle assy. on. Pull, DON'T TWIST them off! Twisting can cause damage to the rod blank. A lot of times (most of the time) the grip will have to be cut off. Do this carefully with a razor blade. You don't want to cut into the fiberglass.
Guides should be removed by cutting the wraps on top of the guide foot for the same reason. You should be able to get an end started and unwrap the remaining thread. (Don't quote me on that, I said "should". ) Remaining epoxy should () be removed with low heat (see as "wife's hair drier") and a thumbnail or the back edge of a plastic knife. Warm it up a bit and scrape the softened epoxy off. In my experience I make sure to keep a supply of beer handy when doing this part.

I hope I've helped, and that all goes well with your endevour. Rebuilding a rod can be fun as well as a challenge.

Chris
baseman1 and random user like this.
Old 03-20-2013, 10:21 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

What kind is it ?
Not all glass rods were created equal and that might help to determine how much effort that it would be worth putting in.
One of my first rebuilds was the Conolon that I caught my first fish on a fly that I tied myself. It seemed like a good idea at the time, but the rod is still a POS.
A Phillipson that I got for cheap turned out to be a great rod after the rebuild.

The majority of old glass will benefit from a couple of additional guides which would mean stripping the whole thing down to the blank, and some people like to replace the metal ferrule with a spigot type which is not as hard as it sounds.
If you just wanted to re-glue the seat and grip, that would likely take only a few minutes and may be the best way to go.
baseman1 likes this.
Old 03-20-2013, 11:52 AM

baseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nice

There are no markings on the rod to say what kind it is. It is more of a sentimental rebuild than anything. I am loving the tips. The reel seat is still in great condition and pulled right off. The handle on the other hand is very beat so I think I will replace it. I think I will need to add more, new, guides as they have some corrosion and there are only 4 on the rod. It is 6'7'' so I think 7 plus the tip guide would be the right amount from what I've read. The blank is a darker green colour which I think looks great. It is the one in the top of this picture:

Click the image to open in full size.

“Be patient and calm – for no one can catch fish in anger.” – Herbert Hoover