The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2013, 11:22 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What do you need to start?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
or you can do it by hand like Rip suggested. You'll just have to baby-sit the rod for a couple-few hours rather than walk away and let it turn. .
Actually it's less than 45 minutes until the finish sets-up enough so that you can ignore it and it won't sag.
At first you want to give the rod a 1/4 turn every few minutes, but once you get to around 20-30 min. you can wait as much as 10 minutes between turns
Old 03-21-2013, 11:24 AM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick k View Post
I do tie my own flies and it seems then that I have the necessary tools. I can borrow the appropriate files from my father. I wouldn't mind hand turning the rod but may see how cheap I can find a motor.

Thanks for the help here everyone.
Turning by hand is very possible, you can find a cheap drying setup on Ebay for $30.
Old 03-21-2013, 12:00 PM

tedp is on a distinguished road
Default What do you need to start?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick k View Post
So it's safe to say that its more about saving money and making slight cosmetic changes than building a rod that performs differently?
I am not a good enough fly caster to answer that for a fly rod. For a spinning or casting rods, you can absolutely get better performance with a custom rod than an off the shelf rod. You can also build rods that aren't available for specific applications.
Old 03-21-2013, 01:00 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
Actually it's less than 45 minutes until the finish sets-up enough so that you can ignore it and it won't sag.
At first you want to give the rod a 1/4 turn every few minutes, but once you get to around 20-30 min. you can wait as much as 10 minutes between turns
45 minutes? Wow, that is a lot faster than I would have thought.

I read an article (in Rod Builder archive I think) in which the author claimed that it is easier to get a perfect finish turning by hand for a time. The idea, which makes sense, is that unless you can apply a perfectly level coat of epoxy, consistent turning will not change it. It won't sag, but it also will not completely self level out because it is continuously rotating at a slow RPM. Rather, the article suggests apply the finish and then letting it sit still until it does start to sag. Then rotate the blank 90 degrees and let is flow until it again sags on the opposite side. Do that a couple time until the finish has leveled and evened out across the wrap. Then let it turn to cure without further sagging.
Old 03-21-2013, 02:33 PM

nick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nice

All this talk of sagging is turning me off....
Old 04-12-2013, 08:39 AM

gary w is on a distinguished road

I just purchased a used rod building jig on here, and I have not yet built a rod, but I don't look at it as much of a case of saving money as I do the gratification of building the rod then catching a fish on a fly I tied, on a rod I built. But that's just me.

Shippenville, Pa
Old 04-12-2013, 10:12 AM

petee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to behold

Easy way out: $179.00 + tax & shipping Rod Wrapping and Drying Equipment Everything you need, but the blank and components. No need to get a power wrapper. Personal opinion: they are mainly for guys wrapping deep water boat rods with the double wraps and all.
osok likes this.
"Blessed is the fly fisher who's quiver contains grass, glass & graphite custom rods." Book of Rods 3:16
Old 04-12-2013, 11:41 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

A few things that I can offer based on a long history with this passion;

You will need desire.

A genuine love of nature & the out of doors

You must be impervious to bad weather and days when you catch nothing

A willingness to learn about aquatic environments and the myriad of species that call the riparian home

Tackle and casting skills are mere window dressings if you don't have the other things tucked away first.

Ard
swirlchaser and osok like this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-12-2013, 12:55 PM

nick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nice

Ard: I appreciate the points, and all are definitely true, although my post was in regards to fly rod building specifically. I've just about mastered being impervious to the elements by now. Fly fishing in Boston is no easy feat with our seasons.
Old 04-12-2013, 01:18 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Sorry, I wasn't paying attention............................ Sometimes (see below)

Click the image to open in full size.

It just happens

Ard
osok likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;