The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2013, 07:51 PM

leftys brother is on a distinguished road
Default Guide guidance

Good Day All,
Plan on building Sage One 5wt for fishing local rivers for Smallmouth and the occasional trout trip. Looking for some guidance on guides for the build. What would you recommend?
Thanks in advance.
JD

---------- Post added at 08:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:49 PM ----------

Might as well ask about seats while I am at it as well as the best cork to put on.
Thanks
Old 03-20-2013, 08:20 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Guide guidance

Are you asking brand and style of guide or size and spacing? Do you want to mimic what Sage puts on?

For brand and style, my first choice in guides is Snake Brand, I'd get the Universals which come in chrome and black nickel both of which look great. I don't know ins and outs of different brands of single foot guides, only used them a couple times and don't like them as much personally.

Snake Brand reel seats are really nice too, but a bit pricey. If you have the money they really are gorgeous. I also like the ones Dave Winslow sells and they are less expensive. For cork, flor grade I buy mine through a friend who puts in a large order once or twice a year but have bought some on ebay. End up weeding out some pieces but I don't worry about getting cork perfect.
Old 03-20-2013, 10:03 PM

petee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to behold

X2 on the Snake Brand Universal guides. Top quality and no guide foot prep to speak of.

Remember when you set up the guide placement that Sage measures to the bottom of the foot . Not the middle of the guide like most manufactures.

I use Lemke seats and usually get my cork from www.acidrod.com It's getting harder and harder to find exceptional cork.

Pete
Old 03-21-2013, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamhj View Post
Are you asking brand and style of guide or size and spacing? Do you want to mimic what Sage puts on?

For brand and style, my first choice in guides is Snake Brand, I'd get the Universals which come in chrome and black nickel both of which look great. I don't know ins and outs of different brands of single foot guides, only used them a couple times and don't like them as much personally.

Snake Brand reel seats are really nice too, but a bit pricey. If you have the money they really are gorgeous. I also like the ones Dave Winslow sells and they are less expensive. For cork, flor grade I buy mine through a friend who puts in a large order once or twice a year but have bought some on ebay. End up weeding out some pieces but I don't worry about getting cork perfect.
Thank you for the insight. My intent is to get the best I can find. Seems like a small cost in comparison to the blank and seat. Don't want to mimic the Sage setup if there are better options to be had. I will read up on the Snake brand. Seemed there was a lot of respect for fuji tip tops how would y-all say the two compare?

---------- Post added at 06:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:36 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by petee View Post
X2 on the Snake Brand Universal guides. Top quality and no guide foot prep to speak of.

Remember when you set up the guide placement that Sage measures to the bottom of the foot . Not the middle of the guide like most manufactures.

I use Lemke seats and usually get my cork from Fishing Rod Building Supplies It's getting harder and harder to find exceptional cork.

Pete

Thanks for the tips Petee
Those Lemke seats do look swell.
Either of y-all know what seat is on the Hardy Zenith?
J
Old 03-21-2013, 06:30 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftys brother View Post
Seemed there was a lot of respect for fuji tip tops how would y-all say the two compare?
Don't know that I've used them or how I'd compare them. Personally I'd get a tip top that went with the guides so the finish matches.
Old 03-23-2013, 08:34 PM

I had not thought about that.
Guess I assumed chrome was chrome
J
Old 03-23-2013, 10:48 PM

If they are close you probably wouldn't really notice slight differences but I figure unless there is compelling reason just get it all from the same company. I wish Snake Brand my stripping guides for the same reason even though slight differences wouldn't really be noticeable.
Old 03-24-2013, 12:33 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

The best cork I have ever seen came from Angler's Workshop, but you pay an arm and a leg for good cork.

If you can't find really good cork, and you may not be able to, as it's getting harder and harder to do, you may have to settle for some fill. The best fill I have found, and I have tried a lot, is Elmer's indoor/outdoor carpenter's wood filler. It looks like this, but is the indoor outdoor version. Make sure it's golden oak. It matches cork better than cork.
Click the image to open in full size.

I should add, the last cork I got from them was nice, but not as good as the previous batch. It pays to ask how good it is before buying it.