The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 5 Post By Guest1
  • 1 Post By caseywise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2013, 08:14 PM

frogg will become famous soon enoughfrogg will become famous soon enough
Default 'Merica!

I didn't want to highjack swirlchaiser's thread, so here is this.
I mentioned that I had started an American flag, but it crapped out on me. I figured I'd post the last pic I got of it. There was a lot of black thread added after this photo was taken. I wish i took a pic prior to the CP.
Click the image to open in full size.
While applying CP to lock it in place, threads started loosening. From there...it wasn't pretty.
I went with a simple diamond.

Chris
Old 03-21-2013, 08:57 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 'Merica!

It's to bad you gave up on it. They are essentially no different than the diamond wrap.

A couple of tips for your next try at it. If you use blue/white or blue/silver thist thread for the blue field it looks like you have stars.

Just do it in this order;
Start off with a black underwrap. Things will stay in place better.
The short red and white stripes Use NCP for the white. It ends up looking better.
The blue and stars
The black on the top and bottom of the flag, wide enough to determine the length of the 'flag pole'.
The gold flag pole
The black to define the end of the flag and behind the flag pole.

From there you just box it out till you have the closed wrap.

Did you know how to determine where to put your center marks so the flags stay square? The flags become out of square as you go down the blank due to the taper if you don't start your layout right.

Here's one I did with 'stars'.
Old 03-21-2013, 11:29 PM

frogg will become famous soon enoughfrogg will become famous soon enough

Dan,
I had finished the wrap, and it looked good. But I'm guessing I used too much pressure while applying the CP, and threads started loosening up, s**t started moving on me. I thought I got everything back in place with the help of a large sewing needle, but when it dried it looked as though the flags were waving...not really a good look.
I'll try it again sometime, but after spending the time that I did on it, and have issues, I'll take a break from that one for a while.

Chris
Old 03-21-2013, 11:56 PM
Banned

Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Actually thee color preserver lengthens the threads and things start to move. Had there been an underwrap you almost certainly would have been OK. Stuff probaly started to move because you started the preserver at one end, things got out of whack pressure-wise had with no traction to keep things from sliding around.....

If you noticed on swirlchasers wraps, even though he is doing a closed wrap, he's doing an underwrap. When you have that many threads there gets to be a lot of pressure going on.

One more thing. On a real black background like that you should use NCP thread and keep the color preserver to a minimum. You can get 'ghosting' for lack of a better word when you soak black thread.
Old 03-22-2013, 12:22 AM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

wow!!
you guys do stuff with thread wraps that baffles my mind!!
well done!
(marco too of course)

casey
fredaevans likes this.

ARFE
Old 03-22-2013, 08:25 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

I so hear you Casey, I sooo hear you. I don't think I have the level of patience it would take to pull that off.

Fred
Old 03-22-2013, 04:04 PM
Banned

Actually you don't need to be to patient. If you do a little practice you can lay down a lot of threads at one time. In those flags I put the stripes down in one pass. There is something like 6 threads in a stripe. It sounds hard but it really isn't. I have heard of people who can lay down twice as many as that in one pass.

If you guys ever decide to do it, it's actually pretty easy. I learned to do it from a book named Custom Rod Thread Art by Dale Clemens. Even weaves are not as bad as people like to think they are. I learned to do them from a video called Advanced Weaving Techniques by Doc Ski. Single color weaves are not hard to do as long as you do a fish or something without a ton of thread changes in the middle of the pattern. This is an example of lots of changes in the middle of the pattern. Submarine Dolphins;

This is a three color weave. I've posted the photo before, but it's a good example of a multi color weave that looks good but is easy. That and it's my favorite copyright violation. It was actually easier than the single color weave above was. The Minnesota Wild logo.

I should have also mentioned in the previous post, that a good layout and keeping the threads lined up in place as you go will result in a better looking wrap. Do it on an underwrap and good thread tension help also.