The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2013, 09:16 PM

matt153265 is on a distinguished road
Default Bamboo Tapers?

Could anyone tell me what would be a good length and taper for a 4 weight bamboo rod?

I really appreciate any input!
Old 03-25-2013, 08:08 AM

petee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Bamboo Tapers?

I like the Wayne Cattanach 7042 or the Sir D 7042. Both cast very well and the 7042 has a great hinge designed in it for roll casting.

Pete
Old 03-25-2013, 09:14 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Paul Young's Perfectionist is a favorite of mine.
Old 03-25-2013, 09:32 AM

mysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to behold

I suggest the Payne 100 taper (7.5', 2 piece 4 weight) - very versatile and an excellent dry fly / light nymph rod. Depending on you budget, either look for an original Payne OR have a custom Bamboo rod builder make you one. Send me a PM if you need some recommendations on the builders.
Old 03-26-2013, 05:54 AM

tennessee dave will become famous soon enoughtennessee dave will become famous soon enough

I very much agree with either the PHY Perfectionist or the Payne 100 tapers. Both are outstanding and classic. There are several modern makers of this taper that do them extremely well.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:49 PM

matt153265 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the responses!

Could anyone tell me in what units we are measuring the stresses upon the fly rod?

The online taper archive lists these as F [b] . Is this foot pounds?

I have slept since my last physics course, I realize Garrison and Carmichael listed these in ounces per square inch.

Also, I am interested in a four piece rod. Would this have any bearing on your recommendations?

Thanks for any and all input!
Old 03-27-2013, 10:50 PM

rasputinj is a jewel in the roughrasputinj is a jewel in the roughrasputinj is a jewel in the rough
Default Bamboo Tapers?

4 piece will be a bit on heavy side for a 4wt with all of the ferrules you will need. That is also a lot of work and not sure you like the action of all of those ferrules I would still recommend the Sir D taper.

My Guide
Taupo Turangi North Island New Zealand Fly fishing Guide