The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2013, 01:25 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default 17' 11 wt, T & T

Well I'm almost finished with my 17' 4 pc. 11 wt. Thomas and Thomas two hander. I did all the thread work on the top three pieces, and turned the top grip. I used stabilized burl for the ends of the grip and did a variation of checkers in dark and light cork. I used blue cork burl instead of real cork. The reason is that the last cork I got in an attempt to get good stuff still cost me $3.50 a ring and needed fill anyway. This was a lot cheaper and I wanted to do one like this anyway. The photos did not turn out very well as far as color goes, they are more blue than what shows on my monitor anyway.

I'm making the seat downlocking because even though I have a giant reel for this thing, I also have 17' of 11 wt' to balance. Every little bit helps. I have the bottom grip glued up and ready to turn. I'll do it tomorrow. It has the same wood starting against the seat in a mirror image of the other end. It's followed by the same checker variation.

In the top photo, the cork against the wood will match beter when I get the cork seal on it. I did the rest of the grip but did not want to get it on the wood. I'll go back with a smaller brush and fix it. Plus when it dries it will match more closely. It was still wet when I snapped the photo.

Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 03-25-2013, 06:41 AM

ghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud of
Default 17' 11 wt, T & T

That's one long, and nice looking, stick.
Old 03-25-2013, 07:39 AM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: 17' 11 wt, T & T

nice dan I agree with doing a down locking for balance, it helps with the loooong rods..
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 03-25-2013, 12:01 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Great job on the wood and cork Dan
ghocevar it's not a long stick for Dan....he's looking for a 20'
Guest1 likes this.
Old 03-25-2013, 02:21 PM

sumojo will become famous soon enough

Wow Great Job
Old 03-25-2013, 04:03 PM

watson has a spectacular aura aboutwatson has a spectacular aura about

Beautiful work Dan, looks great!
Old 03-25-2013, 07:30 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Beautiful work Dan, you are king of the tall rod boys.

Dave
Old 03-25-2013, 07:54 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Awesome stuff Dan! The stabilized burl looks very sharp, and I like the idea of using the down-lock to help with balance. 17' is a whole lot for only one reel to deal with, haha.
Guest1 likes this.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 03-25-2013, 08:01 PM

dakotakid has a spectacular aura aboutdakotakid has a spectacular aura aboutdakotakid has a spectacular aura about

Awesome looking rod.

If you don't mind me asking, why 17'? Are you expecting to be able to toss a fly twice as far as with a 9 or 19' rod. As new as I am to this sport, that seems like a highly specialized rod, but for what purpose?

Thanks,
Old 03-25-2013, 08:19 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

What'cha gonna call it,,,the Dan ONE ? LOL