The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2013, 08:07 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Batson Rainshadow 7wt switch

I like that! Maybe a piece of wood with black & gray would look a bit better, but I think it looks pretty cool.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 03-27-2013, 08:39 AM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Great work and welcome to the forum! Be careful, rod building becomes very addictive...
Old 03-31-2013, 06:22 PM

badfish creek will become famous soon enoughbadfish creek will become famous soon enough

I have a lot on my mind so I worked on my rod to help take my mind of some of it! I took the advice of a fellow rod builder and made an insert to match the winding check. It's far from perfect but it is the best I could do with the tools I have. I also made another winding check out of a piece of Ebony. I really liked it but with the burled insert I went with the first one I made. I epoxied the grips, seat and check on last night and did the wrap at the winding check today. I also did a simple feather inlay. Nothing fancy and the feathers are not the best but they were what I had and I am happy with how they look for my first rod. I can see the end of this building is nearing an end and I can't wait to get it finished and get out on the water.

Click the image to open in full size.
fysh likes this.
Old 03-31-2013, 06:32 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Looks great! I like the feather inlay. Thanks for posting the pictures.
Old 04-07-2013, 01:21 PM

badfish creek will become famous soon enoughbadfish creek will become famous soon enough

Here she is all finished and ready to hit the water...

williamhj likes this.
Old 04-07-2013, 02:22 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

looks good!

What's next?

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 04-07-2013, 07:27 PM

Next...I'm thinking something like a 7'6" 4wt for my 11 yr old daughter so we can fish together.
Old 04-07-2013, 08:46 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by badfish creek View Post
Next...I'm thinking something like a 7'6" 4wt for my 11 yr old daughter so we can fish together.
Another Batson? Seems that they do have some in that range.

What lengths can you turn on your mini-lathe?

Old 04-07-2013, 11:00 PM

robert_nguyen is on a distinguished road

Very nice build! I'm gonna be building 4 rods soon. I will be using Batson handle components.