The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2013, 03:52 PM

badfish creek will become famous soon enoughbadfish creek will become famous soon enough
Default Batson Rainshadow 7wt switch

So I finally took the leap and gathered up the blank and supplies for my very first rod build. I went with the Batson Rainshadow 7wt switch rod. I do admit I wish I went with a heavier blank after I learned it is single hand rated making it more like a 5wt switch..ouch! Anyways I was hoping to mix in a couple of my other hobbies into making this rod. I am building my own handle and was able to purchase a raw Lemke reel seat that I have anodized myself as well. Here are some photos from the build so far. Sadly I may have to cancel the trip I had planned and was making this rod for! I have really enjoyed working on this rod and see many more in the future......

Click the image to open in full size.
fysh, Guest1 and swirlchaser like this.
Old 03-25-2013, 05:49 PM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Batson Rainshadow 7wt switch

Very cool. I'm planning on one of those as my first build also but I'm gonna buy the whole kit.
Old 03-25-2013, 05:55 PM

badfish creek will become famous soon enoughbadfish creek will become famous soon enough

mudbug,

Just don't forget that Batson rates the switch rods in terms of single hand. In other words what they call a 7wt is a 7wt single handed rod NOT 7wt switch. Their "7wt switch" is really a 5wt switch! I didn't know they rated them like this till after I started my build.
Old 03-25-2013, 06:48 PM

frogg will become famous soon enoughfrogg will become famous soon enough

You're off to a stellar start!
I see you've been around a lathe prior to this build. Your grip looks great
You are in serious trouble now. To paraphrase a famous chip company, "You can't build just one."

Chris
Old 03-25-2013, 07:13 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by badfish creek View Post
mudbug,

Just don't forget that Batson rates the switch rods in terms of single hand. In other words what they call a 7wt is a 7wt single handed rod NOT 7wt switch. Their "7wt switch" is really a 5wt switch! I didn't know they rated them like this till after I started my build.
Best thing to do is call them and ask what the grain window for that rod is.

By the way, nice job on the grip. That's an interesting slicing jig you have. Where did you get it and what thicknesses can you do on it?
Old 03-25-2013, 07:14 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Looks good, really like the mini lathe.

Batson makes a fine blank, very light weight. I have the "Big Brother" to your rod, a 13' 7wt spey that is a joy to fish. I really think you'll like the rod.

By the way....welcome to our forum, looking forward the rest of this thread as you progress.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 03-25-2013, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
Best thing to do is call them and ask what the grain window for that rod is.

By the way, nice job on the grip. That's an interesting slicing jig you have. Where did you get it and what thicknesses can you do on it?
I was pointed to Steve Godshall for a line. When talking with him on the phone he tells me he knows this blank well....he designed it for Batson!!!! Told him what my plans are for the rod and he custom made me a line set for it!!!

Thanks for the comments on my grip. I made the little cork slicer myself. I have a CNC milling machine to play with. I can slice the thickness of a quarter.
Guest1 likes this.
Old 03-26-2013, 07:10 PM

I realized I don't have a winding check. I also realized I live just a couple of miles from a Woodcraft store. I stopped in on my way home from work and spent a good while walking around their store. I picked up a nice looking piece of burl and thought it would make a nice winding check. I have never done any wood work before but was willing to give it a go! I went to work and this is what I came up with. I am not sure to think of it. I think I would like it out of a darker type of wood but I am going to leave it on the blank and maybe it will grow on me.

fysh likes this.
Old 03-26-2013, 07:18 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Where are you at that would have a local store with burl?! I'm jealous. Is it stabilized? If not I would worry about a piece that small splitting.
Old 03-26-2013, 07:41 PM

My local Woodcraft store had a ton of neat wood. This was a Thuya Burl pen blank.