The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2013, 08:07 PM

king joe will become famous soon enough
Default Rod Supplies by Roger

Hey all

While I still haven't pulled the trigger on getting going on building rods (if you look about a year ago, I posted I was going to start building 'soon'...apparently 'soon' is a relative comment), I have been researching and reading and, and, and...

Online, there is a Ebay -type of listing...Rod Building Supplies by Roger. The rod blanks describe 'well' and look nice (well, as nice as an Ebay type picture can be)....and the packages are typically pretty cheap compared to even a Pac Bay kit. For example, 9' blank, handle, seat, cap, check, hook keeper and all the guides. What is not included are glues/epoxies and thread....all for about $50.

Has anybody dealt with "Roger" and does anybody of experience with "Rogers" supplies, specifically, 'his' blanks?

I am SOOOoooooo close to building....but bad stuff, if that is the case from Roger, then that is a hassle I don't need for my first.

King Joe, Outa Here!
Old 04-04-2013, 08:24 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rod Supplies by Roger

Built a 7'6" 3wt blank of his and LOVE it. Well loved it till I slipped in the stream and the tip caught in branches and broke (oops). Heard from a lot of others who like his blanks - great blanks for the price. I also bought a reel seat from him and it was fine, not a great seat but looks fine and works. Don't know about the cork or guides. I'd personally get those separately.
Old 04-05-2013, 11:42 AM

king joe will become famous soon enough

Hey thanks for the response William

Yeah, as I said, the blanks describe well...so its good to see someone with building experience has first hand knowledge of Roger blanks.

Interesting comment regarding the seat though....as again, they describe (and look) well.

Again, thanks tons.

King Joe Outa Here!
Old 04-05-2013, 12:06 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

I'll say the seats are fine and compare to the low end ones I've ordered from rod building sites. Not knocking them just have realized I want to spend a bit more on a nicer seat for my rods. They should work fine, just won't be the most interesting inserts etc. If I was ordering a kit of his for someone who wanted to build an inexpensive rod I wouldn't worry about the seat, just plan to pay up for better snake guides, unless his were surprisingly good. My worry would be that the feet wouldn't sit well on the blank and need a good bit of work to get ready to wrap.
Old 04-05-2013, 02:00 PM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

I bought the 11' 3 wt. 4 piece blank and love it. had my builder add a small 2" butt so i can use it single or double hand cast..right now I have a rio nymph tip line in 4 wt. on it for swing wets and fishing nymphs.
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 04-05-2013, 03:56 PM

alexs will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandfly View Post
I bought the 11' 3 wt. 4 piece blank and love it. had my builder add a small 2" butt so i can use it single or double hand cast..right now I have a rio nymph tip line in 4 wt. on it for swing wets and fishing nymphs.
I am getting ready to build my first rod. I am waiting for the guides and then I'm gonna start putting it together. I almost bought the same blank (11' 3wt) but I chose to go for a 10' 3wt blank (by F E Chase). The blank by itself feels like a true fast action, but I don't know how it will work once all the guides , thread, and epoxy will weight it. I will use it for euro-nymphing. The Roger blanks seemed too inexpensive, and I was afraid that they are not "crisp" enough to be a decent short line nymphing rod.
Can you describe the feel/action of your rod and what are you using it for? I don't want to hijack the thread so if you feel so, shoot me a PM. It might be my next project.

Thanks,

Alex
Old 04-07-2013, 06:00 AM

plecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of light

I have two 10' 3wt blanks from Roger. They're still blanks. I haven't started building them yet.

One nice thing is they each came with a spare tip.

I measured them with the 'Common Cents System'. Both have ERNs of 3.8, which puts them in the high end of 3wt. Still, that's closer to the marked range than many 'factory' rods.
Old 04-07-2013, 10:58 AM

wishiniwerfishin will become famous soon enoughwishiniwerfishin will become famous soon enough

I've built a few rods from his kits. One 8' 3pc 4wt that is an awesome rod, and a few 9' 9wt 3pc rods I built from his 12' 4pc 7wt kits, they're great rods as well. The components are on the cheap side but they work fine. The only issue I have had was a cracked ferrule on one of the 12' 7wt kits. he sent me a new blank no questions asked and let me keep the old one. I say go for one of the kits/blanks from him, they're hard to beat... especially for the price.