The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2013, 10:07 AM

random user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Rod wrapping devices ???

Well, have it built. It's a little on the beauty-challenged side, but it works! Thanks much.

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 04-29-2013, 11:38 AM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

If it works for you then it's perfect! So you did the rod tip constant tensioner ala Dan? What is the dowel to the right do? It there a paint brush tip dangling off it?

---------- Post added at 10:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:21 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by swirlchaser View Post
This is fine if your building 3 or 4pc flyrods. If your working with longer sections of blank you will need to make atleast one more v-block to support a longer blank. The bed of my rod wrapper has 4 4' sections to accommodate up to 12", one piece surf rods comfortably.
I did make one single block support that I put outside the stand to support a long end. That XP I just built is a 9'6" two piece, so I had my challenges just with the 57" sections in my stupid little basement room!

Anyway, a question for you guys: I see that some folks have their thread coming from the above the rod, others like it run from underneath then up and around the rod. I know it's personal preference, but are there practical advantages/disadvantages to one way or the other?
Old 04-29-2013, 12:08 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Holy cow! You are a lot more neat and organized than I am. Like it was said before, if it works, it's perfect. It doesn't need to be really pretty. If you made it out of Amboyna Burl slabs with beautifully routered edges and a finish like furniture, it wouldn't make any better rods. Have fun with it, can't wait to see what you produce on it.
Old 04-29-2013, 02:36 PM
Banned

Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
Anyway, a question for you guys: I see that some folks have their thread coming from the above the rod, others like it run from underneath then up and around the rod. I know it's personal preference, but are there practical advantages/disadvantages to one way or the other?
I like it on top because that's where my eyeballs are eyeballing it from.
Old 04-29-2013, 02:48 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
I like it on top because that's where my eyeballs are eyeballing it from.
Makes sense Dan! Do you turn the rod by hand or motor? The direction of rotation would be different if the thread comes from the top and under the blank as opposed to from under and over the blank (clockwise). I've always done it from underneath and over, maybe I should try the opposite to see how it feels.

I have a feeling that spring fishing might be over here for a while. It was cold and snowing a week ago, we had 3 nice warm days and the rivers began to rise. Now it's raining and the temps are supposed to climb to 80 by Saturday with overnight lows above freezing. That is the perfect recipe for run-off! So I might just have to start a new project and a new wrapper would be fun...then I'll need to try it out...
Old 04-29-2013, 04:31 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

I run mine over the top as well. It makes it easier to tie in and line up trim bands when you can see the thread on top of the blank.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:06 PM

random user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
What is the dowel to the right do? It there a paint brush tip dangling off it?
It's a 1/4" oak dowel with an expansion spring and an eyelet. Wrapped the dowel with 3/0 and head cement to keep the dowel form splitting where the eyelet screws in. Tried it out as a substitute for the rod-tip-a-la Dan. Didn't work so well, so I spent some time tracking down an old rod tip to do it right.

Thing I am happy about is it gave me a good, clean, tight wrap the first time! I call that a win.
Guest1 likes this.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Makes sense Dan! Do you turn the rod by hand or motor? ...
I stick to doing it by hand. No crossed threads, nice tight 'n purty. I am not sure what thread I mentioned this story, so if it's a repeat forgive me.

I went to the R.L. Winston factory a while back and talked with them. They had a few years back bought all their thread people power wrappers. It took less than two weeks and they had gone back to doing it by hand. That was the end of my desire to get a power wrapper. I had thought it would be hard to get the same quality. Winston confirmed ot for me.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
Holy cow! You are a lot more neat and organized than I am. Like it was said before, if it works, it's perfect. It doesn't need to be really pretty. If you made it out of Amboyna Burl slabs with beautifully routered edges and a finish like furniture, it wouldn't make any better rods. Have fun with it, can't wait to see what you produce on it.
HA! NEAT! HA!HA! I needed to make space. That and if I don't put things where I can see/find them, they get lost in the mess. I agree. It's a device to make a useful tool. The kid who almost failed wood shop could probably made a prettier one, but I have no interest in building rod wrappers - just an effecient means to an end.

(I haven't revamped this low end, 8'6" IM6 yet and I am already looking at blanks.)