The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2013, 11:24 PM

dabluz has a spectacular aura aboutdabluz has a spectacular aura aboutdabluz has a spectacular aura about
Default Spline on multi-piece rod

How do you find the spline on a 4 or 5 piece fly rod?
Old 04-24-2013, 12:39 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spline on multi-piece rod

Spine each piece individualy marking it with tape and a pen mark. Line it all up and check the whole rod making sure it is right. If you did each piece right it should be, but check it with it together anyway.
Old 04-24-2013, 01:22 PM

petee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to behold

With technology being what it is today ou may not be able to actually find the spine on the butt section or possibily even the second section from the butt. By the time you crank on the section hard enough to bend it you can lose the feel for the spine. With a couple of sections put together you might find it on each section by playing with the section locations.

Pete
"Blessed is the fly fisher who's quiver contains grass, glass & graphite custom rods." Book of Rods 3:16

Last edited by petee; 04-24-2013 at 02:36 PM.
Old 04-24-2013, 02:31 PM
Banned

Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by petee View Post
With technology being what it is today ou may not be able to actually find the spine on the butt section or possibily even the second section from the butt. By the time you crank on the section hard enough to bend it you can lose the feel for the spine. With a couple of sections put together you might find in to each section by playing with the section locations.

Pete
I don't know about that. On my 17' 11 wt. I could do it and that's about as heavy as you can find. The second piece from the tip was actually the hardest just because it didn't have much of one. I have seen a few blanks that are perfect and have no spine. Most of them were all one model of casting rod.

I do it in a set of rod stands with wheels. I never do the floor or table way because of imperfections in either can make the rod lie to you. If you put one end on something, make it something very smooth.
Old 04-24-2013, 04:12 PM

plecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
If you put one end on something, make it something very smooth.
Granite countertops are very good for this.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:22 PM

petee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to behold

Dan,

Can you show your rig? I spine mine on a pane of glass with one end rolling on the palm of my hand, but on say a 4 piece, 8' blank I have all sorts of trouble. By the time I get enough pressure to bend a 2' butt section sufficiently, to get it to jump to the spine, its dug into my palm enough so that it doesn't want to roll freely.

Anything over 2' and I have never had any trouble.

Pete
"Blessed is the fly fisher who's quiver contains grass, glass & graphite custom rods." Book of Rods 3:16
Old 04-24-2013, 11:10 PM
Banned

Sure. I just put the ends on this so that when it's bent it does not slip off, but ends up pretty close to the ends. Push down on the center and you can feel the spine easily on the heaviest blank around. Unless of course you get one that's perfect and has no spine. Don't see those very often.

Click the image to open in full size.

I also have the dip in the one end so you can hook the tip inder the wheels and set the other set in the middle of the rod. If you give it a spin, it will stop on the spine every time. That only works for the whole rod.
Old 04-25-2013, 10:24 AM

Thanks Dan. That may save me all sorts of frustration.

I hi-jacked the thread....

Pete
Old 04-25-2013, 11:20 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by petee View Post
I hi-jacked the thread....

Pete
Hey, the whole reason there is a forum is to help each other out. I think a little hijack every now and then for a good cause is permissable.

One last note. The stands are like an upsidedown T. The split in the one with the hole at the bottom is to adjust the spread of the wheels with a screw in the split. The hole at the bottom is to prevent splitting the upright clear to the base.