The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

Like Tree20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2013, 09:34 AM

Auntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to all
Default Re: 4 weeks of chaos! It's a race to the 22nd

Amazing! Beautiful! You're making me exhausted, just seeing the pictures!! Your "buddies" are so incredibly fortunate to have you!! <would you consider adopting me??>
Old 04-27-2013, 09:37 AM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auntie Em View Post
Amazing! Beautiful! You're making me exhausted, just seeing the pictures!! Your grandbuddies are so incredibly fortunate to have you!! <would you consider adopting me??>
LOL, thank you but I have 3 kids and Gina has 2 so we have 17,15,10,10, and a 9 year old. My plate is pretty full right now...
Old 04-27-2013, 02:26 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by swirlchaser View Post
Thanks Casey, two more to go and a set of grips to turn. I'm going to take the easy route with the guides on the kid's rods, I'll do a Henry Ford. You can have any color you want, as long as it's black:D
Henry Ford would love your choice. But I've driven 'white' longer than I can even remember. Jeep on the drive way is white, and been there (well driving around) since 2001. There is some sort of electrical drain (over head lights?) that don't shut down properly and the hood up/bat charger on for a few hours. (A total pain where some one sits!!!) and off we go.
swirlchaser likes this.
Old 04-27-2013, 02:45 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
Henry Ford would love your choice. But I've driven 'white' longer than I can even remember. Jeep on the drive way is white, and been there (well driving around) since 2001. There is some sort of electrical drain (over head lights?) that don't shut down properly and the hood up/bat charger on for a few hours. (A total pain where some one sits!!!) and off we go.
Disconnect the lights for a few days and see if it holds a charge.
Old 04-28-2013, 02:27 AM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Nice work as always Marco!Not to add to your stress but you need to hit those Shad again and the bucktails need hair and dont forget the Stripers !
Just kidding!
Been there and done that( I had 4 of my own who all wanted new rods for salt and fresh) Luckily I had my good friend Uncle Joe the rod builder who always helped. Now that hes gone I have three grandchildren so you know why I was at Cabelas today. More costly but less time consuming!

---------- Post added at 02:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:12 AM ----------

Like you said about your rod builder friends I dont know how some of these guys do 5 or 6 rods a week! Joe was a full time butcher and rewrapped all the rods for all the boats in Freeport plus built customs for a full list of customers including Yankee and Ranger players as well as guys like me. The man was a machine and still going strong at 80!
Would build anything except a fly rod. Made me a noodle stick one year and somehow I convinced him to make me a fly rod out of a similiar blank. Of all the rods he made for me and my family over the years I treasure that the most cause its the only one out of literally thousands that he ever made.
One piece 10 wt casts like a rocket just a pain to transport!
swirlchaser likes this.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 04-28-2013, 08:08 AM

There must be something about the name Joe and rodbuilding. This is my buddy Joey's drying cabinet, it will dry 18 rods at once
Click the image to open in full size.
fysh likes this.
Old 04-28-2013, 12:50 PM

sumojo will become famous soon enough

That's so awesome great job.
Old 04-28-2013, 01:26 PM

Auntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to all

<would you consider adopting me??>

Quote:
Originally Posted by swirlchaser View Post
LOL, thank you but I have 3 kids and Gina has 2 so we have 17,15,10,10, and a 9 year old. My plate is pretty full right now...

Ya can't blame a gal for tryin' !!
swirlchaser likes this.
Old 04-28-2013, 09:34 PM

Wasn't ready to get back on the thread, so I spent a little time at the lathe getting a rough cut on the grips. I cut it down as one piece but it will eventually be a three piece, split grip setup.

Ready to go

The NERBS wizard is everywhere
Old 04-29-2013, 11:37 AM

Slight hiccup in the plans here. Gina has decided she will get more use out of a light, freshwater spinning outfit since we're always taking the kids to the lake. The patterns on this grip may be too big to build a smaller split grip.