The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2013, 06:25 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 5-Weight Revamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by random user View Post
Figured that was part of my issue. Am just trying to work too tightly for my experience level.

What I have been trying for in an initial 10 wraps of the primary thread then 5 wraps of the trim band thread and reversing this on the inside. Surprisingly on the inside, close to the guide, is actually easier.

I sure it can be done, but I am not there, YET.
Use the pull loops and you will be able to do it.
Old 05-18-2013, 10:51 AM

random user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the rough

Do I have this right???

That last little, wiggly guide before the tiptop requires careful and judicious utterance of several magic words to end up wrapped in place correctly, right?
Old 05-18-2013, 11:58 AM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Do I have this right???

That last little, wiggly guide before the tiptop requires careful and judicious utterance of several magic words to end up wrapped in place correctly, right?
LOL, yes you are correct. It's a royal PITA. Try wrapping the first side with less tension, then wrap the second leg with more tension. If the first side is too loose cut it off and rewrap it.
Old 05-18-2013, 09:49 PM

random user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the rough

Okay, al long as I was following union rules....

I cheated. I used 4 thing strips of vinyl fist aid tape. Got is sort of in place with the first on the bottom end, then got is closer with the second on the top end, then fastened in down on the bottom side close to the guide on the bottom side and repeated on the top side. After I got it in place and stable, it wasn't so bad. (Did look at the lil bottle of brush on crazy glue a few times though.
Old 05-18-2013, 10:19 PM

petee is a name known to allpetee is a name known to allpetee is a name known to allpetee is a name known to allpetee is a name known to allpetee is a name known to all

Quote:
(Did look at the lil bottle of brush on crazy glue a few times though.
Nothing wrong with a little dab of super glue Just be careful with it. In most situations it will turn the thread dark. That's fine if you aren't using CP.
"Blessed is the fly fisher who's quiver contains grass, glass & graphite custom rods." Book of Rods 3:16
Old 05-19-2013, 03:13 PM

Got some more done. It's all wrapped up. Color preserver drying on the tip section and doing the 5 minute 1/4 rotation thing with the wrap finish on the butt section.

Also learned that a dremel, high speed cutter and sanding drums may not be the best choice for reaming out cork. Had to do a lot of material removal to get the top side of the up-locking reel seat to fit in neatly. The dremel did make very quick work of it - almost too quick.
Old 05-20-2013, 12:58 PM

Very slow RPMS on the Dremel and use the sanding drum attachment with 80grit
Old 06-04-2013, 08:14 AM

Okay, I'm stumped.

Have the guides all done. Have the 2 two cork rings I need to replace epoxied together with the section for the uplocking reel seat epoxied in placed. Need to add the masking tape arbors and seal them up. Everything fits all nice and snug.

Questions:
1) How to I clamp it all together when I epoxy everything? Only thing that is coming to mind is a ratchet strap from the base of the real seat and up and over the tip side on the butt section.)

2) How much epoxy to use? Just enough to keep it all together or do I want to slather it up so it will be a real pita to disassemble again?
Old 06-04-2013, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Okay, I'm stumped.

Have the guides all done. Have the 2 two cork rings I need to replace epoxied together with the section for the uplocking reel seat epoxied in placed. Need to add the masking tape arbors and seal them up. Everything fits all nice and snug.

Questions:
1) How to I clamp it all together when I epoxy everything? Only thing that is coming to mind is a ratchet strap from the base of the real seat and up and over the tip side on the butt section.)

2) How much epoxy to use? Just enough to keep it all together or do I want to slather it up so it will be a real pita to disassemble again?
Don't over do it on the epoxy. If too much seeps out between the ring it will be a PITA to sand down and will leave a dark gap. Just enough to bind the rings to the blank and a very thin layer on the face of the cork to hold the rings together. To keep it together us a cork ring clamp. You don't have to buy one, everything you need is at you local hardware store. Some threaded rod, a few nuts, washers and two pieces of pine. It looks like this:

http://images.cabelas.com/is/image/c...ei=220&wid=380
Old 06-04-2013, 07:11 PM

Thanks much Swirl Chaser. Looks simple enough.

(Argh! another contraption to construct!)