The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2013, 01:35 PM

random user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the rough
Default 5-Weight Revamp

I'm posting this up because I am looking for advice, tips, trick, etc that people are willing to share.
(No need to be gentle with liberal application of The 2x4 o' Enlightenment.)

This is bid 1 for me. Started by stripping a 8'6" Pflueger 5 weight that the only thing I am really sure of is that it was well used by 1994.

These are the first wraps for me. Thread is rayon embroidery thread.

Click the image to open in full size.

Not the most glorious of victories, but it's a win for me - guide is super tight.

Color choices weren't so well thought out. Will probably change up to a dark and light olive or something similar.

Probably should have started with the tougher "A" nylon instead of the more fragile rayon. Skipping the trim bands the first time around might have been a good idea too, but an ugly win is still a win.

Last edited by random user; 05-01-2013 at 08:52 AM.
Old 04-30-2013, 02:55 PM

badfish creek will become famous soon enoughbadfish creek will become famous soon enough
Default Re: 5-Weight Revamp

Please do a test with your wrap epoxy before you get any father along using this thread. Most embroidery thread has silicone or some other type of lube on it. This will cause massive fisheyes in your epoxy.
mcnerney and Guest1 like this.
Old 04-30-2013, 03:00 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Don't wrap those guides in too tight
After you get them all on you're going to have to make sure that they're all lined up straight. For that you're going to need a little wiggle room.
Old 04-30-2013, 05:02 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by badfish creek View Post
Please do a test with your wrap epoxy before you get any father along using this thread. Most embroidery thread has silicone or some other type of lube on it. This will cause massive fisheyes in your epoxy.
I use embroidery thread almost exclusively, both with and without color preservative. The trick is to make sure your first coat is very light, barely covering the thread. Embroidery thread does have some silicone in i to help it run through the machinery but it's only a factor if you put on a heavy first coat on.
mcnerney and Liphookedau like this.
Old 04-30-2013, 06:29 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I left some comment on your blog here, it is full of good info. Looks like you're doing just fine,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-30-2013, 09:02 PM

random user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
Don't wrap those guides in too tight
After you get them all on you're going to have to make sure that they're all lined up straight. For that you're going to need a little wiggle room.
I've been struggling with that. keeping them lined up perfectly. What you're saying makes a lot of sense, but I thought what caused the guides to spiral around the blanks was loose wraps. So, I am guessing it is some elusive balance of just loose enough and not too tight.

---------- Post added at 08:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:49 PM ----------

I do have a question on this for which I could use some experienced advice.

Guide sizes:
Bought a Hook& Hackle set: 12, 10, 3, 3, 2, 2, 1, 1, 1.

These are looking a little tight to me for a 5-weight. Most other sources I have come across seem to go a little larger.

The other side I have seen is from the St. Croix site: 12, 4, 4 ,4, 4, 3, 3, 3, 3.

I'm going to be ordering some "A" nylon because the rayon is just too delicate for me to work right now, and I have enough to be paying attention to. I keep snapping the thread because the spool tension sometimes gets suddenly too tight. Should I order some larger guides?
Old 05-01-2013, 06:45 AM

petee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to behold

Like most things in rod building, you will never get concenus on guide sizing. However for me.... the sizes you have should be plenty good for a 8'6" 5 wt. I do know that Tom Morgan goes even smaller with his guide sizes.

Sent you a PM.

Pete
mcnerney likes this.
"Blessed is the fly fisher who's quiver contains grass, glass & graphite custom rods." Book of Rods 3:16
Old 05-02-2013, 11:56 AM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by petee View Post
Like most things in rod building, you will never get concenus on guide sizing. However for me.... the sizes you have should be plenty good for a 8'6" 5 wt. I do know that Tom Morgan goes even smaller with his guide sizes.

Sent you a PM.

Pete
What he said^^^
I normally lean towards larger guides but I don't thing it has a measurable effect on casting my reasons are more practical:
1. Smaller guides ice up faster in the winter
2. I fish alot of shooting heads and passing loop-to-loop connections through a size 1 is a PITA
3. I HATE wrapping on a size 1 guide, I have fat fingers and I always end up cursing up a storm
mcnerney likes this.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:35 PM

You mean it is going to get worse as I work down the blank?

I am getting pretty good at the #12 and #10 stripper guides. Not completely satisfied yet.

Rewrap, recheck, reunwrap, rewrap, recheck, reunwrap, rewrap, recheck, reunwrap, rewrap, recheck, reunwrap, ad nausium.

I thought they guide set was a bit tight, but passable. I have bigger things to worry about right now. Worst case is I get to to it all again. This is a learning attempt for me, so I'll learn.
Old 05-03-2013, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by random user View Post
You mean it is going to get worse as I work down the blank?

I am getting pretty good at the #12 and #10 stripper guides. Not completely satisfied yet.

Rewrap, recheck, reunwrap, rewrap, recheck, reunwrap, rewrap, recheck, reunwrap, rewrap, recheck, reunwrap, ad nausium.

I thought they guide set was a bit tight, but passable. I have bigger things to worry about right now. Worst case is I get to to it all again. This is a learning attempt for me, so I'll learn.
Lol, wrapping a size 1 at the tip of a fly rod blank is the stuff dreams are made of. Said no one, ever!