The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Fly Rod Building (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-rod-building/)
-   -   Salvaging parts from broken rod (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-rod-building/318127-salvaging-parts-broken-rod.html)

dsmith1427 05-01-2013 06:50 AM

Salvaging parts from broken rod

I broke a rod last week and wanted to know if anyone has ever salvaged parts and if so, how. I built the rod a little over a year ago and if possible I would like to recover the reel seat and handle as well as any other components.

Also, does anyone know if Sevier Manufacturing (tiger eye) is still in business? I unsuccessfully tried to get to their website last night and this morning. BTW, the rod that broke was not a tiger eye.

Thanks for any help/info you can provide.

Don

petee 05-01-2013 07:03 AM

Re: Salvaging parts from broken rod

Usually you can salvage everything but handles. Once that cork is glued on, its on. I salvage everything.... guides, tip tops, winding checks, seat hardware and if possible the seat inserts, even the hook keepers. Yes, I am cheap and on older bamboo rods, beyond repair, I keep everything. Never know when you will get a rebuild that needs that certain component.

On the seat you can use heat. Usually I put the seat in a bag an soak it for a bit in boiling water. I have also used my heat gun if I don't care about the insert or blank. Guides you can use heat on the epoxy and then score it with a razor blade. Peel the thread and finish off and you are good to go. No need to be fussy about scoring the blank, if you are only salvaging parts.

What section did you break? Many manufactures will supply a new section if you send the rod back. They want the rod back to fit up the new section.

Sevier: Rumor has it that there may be some health issues. But like I said "rumor has it", nothing offical. Try calling, I know some folks have gotten hold of them via the phone.

Rip Tide 05-01-2013 07:04 AM

Not long ago I finally used a nickle silver reel seat off a broken rod that I dumpster dived for 30 years ago. :rolleyes:.... I've build rods totally from "recycled" materials.

I recently saw this on the Schneidersrods website
Quote:

Please Note - The Tiger Eye Blanks Are In Very Short Supply
These Saltwater are all we have left.
Call For Availability

dsmith1427 05-02-2013 07:35 PM

Thanks for the info. I will salvage what I can and purchase what I cannot and build a new rod when I get the blank.

Don

dsmith1427 05-11-2013 07:32 AM

Again, thanks for your help. I salvaged everything but the reel seat assembly. How long do you typically soak the seat in boiling water? I soaked it for about five minutes and everything was pretty hot. Unfortunately it did not move at all. Do you remove the cap before the rest of the reel seat? It's a nice reel seat and insert and I would like to get both if possible.

Regarding a replacement part, I check with the manufacturer and they no longer make the blank that broke. They did send me a new one (no cost) so I am eager to start another build.

Thanks for any info you can provide.

Don

littledavid123 05-11-2013 08:02 AM

Salvaging is cool, purchased a broken beat up bamboo rod because it had a great tip section. Plan to turn it into a ice fishing rod, make the handle some kind of funky fish decoy shape. :)

Dave