The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2013, 03:37 PM

petee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to behold
Default Seat sizes for Spey/Switch rods

Need some assistance from you switch rodders. Is there a cut off on using a standard size seat on a Spey/Switch rod? Or is the deciding factor a matter butt diameter on the heavier rods? I usually use burl inserts and not metal thin wall inserts.

On my 7 weight Sage "One" I have installed a Spey seat from Joel Lemke.
1)Mainly because it is a bigger blank and I am going to run Abel Switch reels which are pretty beefy.
2) The bigger hardware looks more proportional. Plus with the added diameter of the butt section there wouldn't have been much meat on the insert after it was drilled out.

On my St Croix Imperial 5 weight switch I used a Joel Lemke LC1 (his standard sized seat hardware). Because at the time I didn't even know there was such a thing as a Spey/Switch seat. I think I am ok as it doesn't appear that I will need to run a Switch reel on that size rod. Plus being a smaller blank it looks proportional.
"Blessed is the fly fisher who's quiver contains grass, glass & graphite custom rods." Book of Rods 3:16
Old 05-02-2013, 04:07 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Seat sizes for Spey/Switch rods

Quote:
Originally Posted by petee View Post
I think I am ok as it doesn't appear that I will need to run a Switch reel on that size rod. Plus being a smaller blank it looks proportional.
A mistake many people make is to think bigger reels use bigger feet. They don't. The little one is a 3/4 type reel. I got it because I wanted a fly line for a specific reason and could put it in my pocket back when I hiked around a small lake I used to fish for Largemouth. The big one is a Tibor 13/14/15 wt. reel I got so I would have enough weight to balance a 17' rod. Notice the foot on the two reels. Same size huh.

Spey and switch seats are to accomodate the giant diameter of the butt end of the blanks, not the reels. They may also tend to be a bit beefier just because the forces in a big two hander are a heck of a lot more drastic than that in a single hander.

If it fit on the rod, don't sweat the small stuff as they say.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 05-02-2013, 06:02 PM

petee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Seat sizes for Spey/Switch rods

Thanks Dan, I thought there was a standard for the foot of a reel, at least for newer reels. Don't remember when they went to standard foot dimensions, but I know they have em now. Figured it was due to butt diameter. Even though I am a Switch newbie, I figured there were mucho more stresses on a Spey especially.

Top rod is the St.Croix Imperial switch with the standard hardware. Bottom is the Sage "One" with the spey hardware. Hard to see it, but there is quite a big difference in seat sizes. Won't be able to use the pewter Abel Swich reel on the 5 weight. It just overwhelms the rod. But when you get a brand new Abel for the price of a spare spool, you buy it. I'm thinking one for salt and one for steelhead. And yes, the slider for the spey seat is 1/4" wider than normal..... don't ask. I messed up the insert dimensions #@%(&

Click the image to open in full size.

As usual I talked myself into circles. I think I am over thinking the whole Spey/Switch thing.

Pete
"Blessed is the fly fisher who's quiver contains grass, glass & graphite custom rods." Book of Rods 3:16

Last edited by petee; 05-02-2013 at 07:10 PM.