The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By mcnerney
  • 1 Post By Guest1
  • 1 Post By caseywise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2013, 07:36 PM

tugboat is on a distinguished road
Default Rod Aleign

What is used on each section, those little dots, that aleign each section
Old 05-02-2013, 10:11 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rod Aleign

On my Orivs rods I use the little dots, on the rest I just try to align the guides up the best I can, in the big scheme of things I don't think it really makes all that much difference unless maybe you are a distance casting fanatic.
Hardyreels likes this.

Old 05-02-2013, 11:02 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the forum. Where are you located?

If I understand you right, you want to know what they used to make the dots. If you are building a rod, you can do two coats of finish. Between coats, use a straight pin and gold model paint and make the dots using the head. If you have access to dry transfer letters, you can also use the periods and then do the second coat over them. Just make sure you have everything lined up. Once the second coat is on, they are there forever.
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 05-02-2013, 11:15 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

ive made my own alignment dots using testors enamel model paint on my 4 piece rods that do not have them.
i prefer not to overcoat in case i may want to re-sell the rod.

casey
Hardyreels likes this.

ARFE
Old 05-03-2013, 09:49 AM

Auntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to all

Yep. Tiny dot of Testors paint ... or ... nail polish ... or ... Sharpie pen (all kinds of wonderful colors now available! Have fun with them!) You don't have to be conventional!!
Old 05-03-2013, 04:55 PM

nickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of light

I mark measuring dots on mine- you can do 10,11, 12 inches if you're on the east coast- or 16-20, etc. if you're in Colorado... Anyway, I use Pilot markers, silver and gold metallic. Just touch the rod with the tip and it leaves a nice dot.
Old 05-07-2013, 05:45 PM

tugboat is on a distinguished road

Thanks to all for the great info.