The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

Like Tree7Likes
  • 6 Post By wt bash
  • 1 Post By Rip Tide

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2013, 08:40 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future
Default Never....

Let your bass fishing neighbors know you build rods. Since the humidity and weird weather have slowed the drying of the 7'11" I had nothing to do and showed a neighbor my porch front work shop. Well wouldn't you know the landlord/tournament bass fisherman came by at the same time. Now I'm stuck with 3 flippin' sticks and a handful of other tournament bass tackle that need replacement guides, rewrapped, or something or another. Idle hands make play for the devil but all this probono sh@!t is for the birds!!! I haven't been on the water since there was snow on the ground it seems!!! My shop is fouled with conventional tackle, I'm missing the hatches I spent hours tying for and still somehow end up even more broke than I started!!! Agh feast or famine its all the same!
Old 05-14-2013, 09:16 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Never....

My buddy gets 15 bucks a guide and brings home an average of 6 rods a week.
He's even an authorized repair agent for GLoomis and a couple of other companies. His basement is stuffed with rods
I guess that's what happens when you give up drinkin'
dean_mt likes this.
Old 05-14-2013, 02:10 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi Bill,

Paul may have you onto something here; I would take a rod (one of your from scratch bamboo) to Bass pro and every other fish shop within 30 miles and tell them I would replace guides and grips etc for a fee. There's gotta be a way...............

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-14-2013, 02:17 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

I could but I only have a few more weeks on terra firma ( I hope ). I want to get these last few done and out the door so I can rest easy working 22hrs on deck! Hahaha!
Old 05-14-2013, 03:05 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hope you land a slot on a good boat Bill, I know the excitement of a 24 or 36 hour opening. The bright side is you don't even realize you've been awake for a day & a half. I'm probably too old now, a skipper would ask my age then pass, I could try dying my hair maybe? I think I could still hang, laying Skates of long line back to back then fishing them in................ I hope you can get on board, a real adventure it is.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-14-2013, 05:23 PM

Its like crack, once you start running down the gear you just don't want to stop. I remember the times where I would be pissed we were done after 15 days, no shower, down to pasta and rice, squid ink and salt crusted hair/beard, drying wet clothes in the engine room, but still wanted to run the gear while we had the right moon. Yeah its time....5 years out here is long enough.
Old 05-14-2013, 07:39 PM

jimp has a spectacular aura aboutjimp has a spectacular aura aboutjimp has a spectacular aura about

what type of commercial fishing are you talking about and where?
Old 05-14-2013, 10:42 PM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute

Not too cool to ask an acquaintance to fix your hardware gear for free! Bad form. You're too nice Bill.

Let us know before you take off.
Old 05-15-2013, 08:48 AM

The neighbor agh its cool I don't mind cause then I ask him for help down the road the landlord well I took that on so I didn't have to relocate the work shop, it still sucks but oh well.

Jimp, I used to longline tuna and swords out of Barnegat Light with some rod and reel tuna fishing thrown in too. I recently sent a resume to Atlantic Red Crab which is one of the east coast's best kept secrets fishery-wise. If I don't hear back from them by June I'll have to pack the truck and head back home to see if I can't find a rod and reeler before they all head north to New England waters.
Old 05-15-2013, 04:38 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by wt bash View Post
The neighbor agh its cool I don't mind cause then I ask him for help down the road the landlord well I took that on so I didn't have to relocate the work shop, it still sucks but oh well.

Jimp, I used to longline tuna and swords out of Barnegat Light with some rod and reel tuna fishing thrown in too. I recently sent a resume to Atlantic Red Crab which is one of the east coast's best kept secrets fishery-wise. If I don't hear back from them by June I'll have to pack the truck and head back home to see if I can't find a rod and reeler before they all head north to New England waters.
Nice to here your heading home, I'll save a place on the Jetty for you