The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By silvertip8k
  • 1 Post By silvertip8k

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2013, 09:57 AM

silvertip8k has a spectacular aura aboutsilvertip8k has a spectacular aura about
Default birch bark rings

Thought I would show the way I am making up rings for turning grips from Birch Bark.the first time I tried this out was with some BB I got from someone on the forum for a materials swap over the winter...great stuff...thanks again...

Click the image to open in full size.

this is a material that comes from many parts of the country... This is really beautiful stuff..making for a very durable grip if used solo...or just a super for butts or winding check areas...the smaller lines are very attractice as well of course...it does not require ant finish etc just like cork.

this is what I am doing on my special edition series bamboo rods now...at least parts of the grip finished off with BB...it is for sure more durable and compliments bamboo and natural cork excellent...

rather than try and manage the bark pieces individually in the glue up process to prep for the turn, I decided to make the bark up into sections that are compressed evenly and with solid glue connections. It is a lot easier for me to handle it...and guaranrtee a good joint everywhere...surprises mid way in a turn are devastating...a lot of work and time( and materials) can be lost if things arent right .

it can be bought too from the regular folks...mud hole etc in small sheets...8-10 pieces makes about an inch of ring.

after cutting the bark into 2" X 2" squares I take small 1X pine blocks the same size and used them to assist in clamping.After cleaning up the bark I soaked it and did a "dry" clamp up to get the fit good...then after a week I took it apart scrape them down and remove any loose material...a slight sanding, then glue them up with gorilla glue. They get clamped with a basic cabinet door bar clamp fairly tight...maintaning an even boundary on all sides is important. I cut the rough circle on my band saw and finish sanded the diameter w/ the drum sander. I made them in 1/2, 1, and 1 &1/2 inch rings...for accents , winding check dome on a reverse wells style or for the rear section on any grip...

I think this will really help out with the process...I am mixing these with cork in natural and some medium burn slices too for more accents...

Its a bit of work, but guarantees good connections and adhesion with this slightly unruly material...t
jpbfly and frogg like this.

ted...trout bum/wandering monk
public water 20"er
public land pope & young

Breac linne, slat coille is fiadh freach - mirle s nach do ghabh gidheal riamh nire.
a fish from the river, a rod from the woods and a stag from the mountain , thefts ne'er a Gael was ashamed
...and old gaelic proverb...

my blog & website
http://wmflyrodco.com/
Old 05-21-2013, 12:59 PM

frogg will become famous soon enoughfrogg will become famous soon enough
Default Re: birch bark rings

I'm glad you got to use them.
I always work with them the same way you are. Looking good!

I haven't been on in a while, so I need to look back over a few posts...

Chris
Old 05-21-2013, 05:29 PM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice

I love the look of bark grips. I first fell for them on knife grips from Scandinavia.

I wonder if it would be cheaper to use bark instead of cork for production rods? I would rather the look of bark any day. Not much of a commercial market for it I guess, but I do know the cork filler market is booming with clear quality cork so rare.
Old 05-21-2013, 06:41 PM

silvertip8k has a spectacular aura aboutsilvertip8k has a spectacular aura about

I actually am not such a fan of the super clear cork...some of it looks to perfect for me...maybe thats not what you are referring to...I love the natural look of BB and real cork too...

BB does need a bit more attention turning...and special care is required if you are turning it in conjunction w/ cork rings...so you dont have boundary edges etc...nothing some TLC can fix...just take your time and dont push on the cork as hard as you do the BB...you might get a "dip" in the grip ...

all the best...and thanks again Chris for turning me onto this really cool stuff...I got it down now...t
frogg likes this.

public water 20"er
public land pope & young

Breac linne, slat coille is fiadh freach - mirle s nach do ghabh gidheal riamh nire.
a fish from the river, a rod from the woods and a stag from the mountain , thefts ne'er a Gael was ashamed

my blog & website
Old 05-22-2013, 04:37 PM

frogg is de man! if you find some more downed Birch trees strip some bark for teddy...OK...

public water 20"er
public land pope & young

my blog & website
Old 05-22-2013, 05:40 PM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

They look great when I get round to Finishing My Grips I'd also like to try a few however getting them is a problem as we don't have Birch over here.
Brian.
Old 05-22-2013, 07:12 PM

stanbiker has a spectacular aura aboutstanbiker has a spectacular aura about

There is a guy here who makes nets and grips with birch. The nets are beautiful and I can't wait to use it now that the ice is finally leaving.
Old 05-23-2013, 05:41 AM

you can purchase 12" squares from mud hole...

public water 20"er
public land pope & young

my blog & website