Epic 6wt. Salsa colored blank

petee

Reaction score
Oh geez Pete, what another Epic Fiberglass? Yep, sorry I have been in a frenzy building spec & demo rods lately and all of you have to suffer. Its another Epic Fiberglass. This time its an 8'6", 6wt., 3 piece in what Epic calls Salsa. Pictures really don't do the color justice. Dump some Salsa on your shirt and that's the color. I should be done posting for a while :eek:.

Seat: Lemke LC1 down-locking
Insert: Carolina Cherry burl
Handle: Full wells
Guides: Snake Brand Universals
Agate: courtesy of a buddy
Wraps: Fish Hawk Fawn silk with two turn black Persall's Gossamer black silk trim wraps.

Last edited:

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
You know pete, if I didn't already have 22 fly rods I would be telling you that I want one of those in a 7' 4 weight. Do they make a 7' 4 weight blank............... You see I have this new (old stock) Martin MG-3, still boxed with papers and extra spool. if, and I really mean that, if I were to get another rod it would be one I would want to match the reel with. This Salsa color might be nice......................

What I could do is to load the reel with a DT 4 and backing and then send it to you. You could then mount it to different rods and string it up. By doing this we could find the rod that would balance the reel just the way I like them.

Now that's a thought. I don't have to take a rod until I can figure out what I'll use it for but we would know which blank I would have to have it made on.

Just thinking out loud here that's all...

Ard

petee

Reaction score
Ard,
Not to play the Devil's Advocate or anything :rolleyes: but....... they do make a 4 wt. in both 7'6" & 8' models. I have the 7'6" pink rod I just finished and the 8' 4wt. Amber sitting at the house. I'll put my J.Ryall on them and get a picture of the balance points for you. Gotta get it done tonight as the Amber 4 wt. is heading to St. Louis this week :icon_cry:. Another baby leaves the nest.

Don't know how the Ryall compares in size and weight to your Martin, but you could get a rough idea. The Ryall is loaded with a 4 WF line. The Salsa kind of has the old Fenwick look to it. Has a good throwback look to it without the lack of feel and extra weight of the older rods.

jpbfly

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Beautiful rod!!I love the color of the blank:)....the more I see your rods the more I feel like building one:(:)
:secret: was sure Betty would like your job...;)

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Without line that old Martin weighs less than a Hardy Featherweight I think, somewhere around 2.75 oz. it is very similar to a Featherweight but lighter and made at Mohawk NY. I was just thinking out loud but if you send me (or post) some pictures that will be great.

Thanks Pete,

Ard

petee

Reaction score
Ard,

I weighted the J.Ryall and it weights 175 grams (6.17 oz.) loaded with a 4 wt. WF line and backing.

The Amber rod is an 8' 4 wt. The white rod is a 7'6" 4 wt. The extra 6" moved the balance point about 1 or 2 cork rings.

Auntie Em

Reaction score
Beautiful rod!!I love the color of the blank:)....the more I see your rods the more I feel like building one:(:)
:secret: was sure Betty would like your job...;)
OMG!!!! ... YES! The Epic blanks are in some of the most beautiful colors ... and then to have petee work his magic ... WOW! Beautiful!!

petee

Reaction score
OMG!!!! ... YES! The Epic blanks are in some of the most beautiful colors ... and then to have petee work his magic ... WOW! Beautiful!!
Thanks Auntie Em :eek:. You are dead on correct about the Epic blanks. Cool thing is... Carl McNeil says they are coming out with some other colors soon. Not many manufacturers offer up a selection of colors. I have built on 3 of the 4 colors so far. But that will be fixed with my next blank order. Gotta try a build on the blue. Can't decide which color is my favorite. It changes all the time.

Pete