The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2013, 04:55 PM

petee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to behold
Default Epic 6wt. Salsa colored blank

Oh geez Pete, what another Epic Fiberglass? Yep, sorry I have been in a frenzy building spec & demo rods lately and all of you have to suffer. Its another Epic Fiberglass. This time its an 8'6", 6wt., 3 piece in what Epic calls Salsa. Pictures really don't do the color justice. Dump some Salsa on your shirt and that's the color. I should be done posting for a while .

Seat: Lemke LC1 down-locking
Insert: Carolina Cherry burl
Handle: Full wells
Guides: Snake Brand Universals
Agate: courtesy of a buddy
Wraps: Fish Hawk Fawn silk with two turn black Persall's Gossamer black silk trim wraps.

Click the image to open in full size.

Auntie Em and dean_mt like this.
"Blessed is the fly fisher who's quiver contains grass, glass & graphite custom rods." Book of Rods 3:16

Last edited by petee; 05-28-2013 at 11:12 AM.
Old 05-28-2013, 12:25 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Epic 6wt. Salsa colored blank

You know pete, if I didn't already have 22 fly rods I would be telling you that I want one of those in a 7' 4 weight. Do they make a 7' 4 weight blank............... You see I have this new (old stock) Martin MG-3, still boxed with papers and extra spool. if, and I really mean that, if I were to get another rod it would be one I would want to match the reel with. This Salsa color might be nice......................

What I could do is to load the reel with a DT 4 and backing and then send it to you. You could then mount it to different rods and string it up. By doing this we could find the rod that would balance the reel just the way I like them.

Now that's a thought. I don't have to take a rod until I can figure out what I'll use it for but we would know which blank I would have to have it made on.

Just thinking out loud here that's all...

Ard
Auntie Em likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-28-2013, 07:09 AM

petee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to behold

Ard,
Not to play the Devil's Advocate or anything but....... they do make a 4 wt. in both 7'6" & 8' models. I have the 7'6" pink rod I just finished and the 8' 4wt. Amber sitting at the house. I'll put my J.Ryall on them and get a picture of the balance points for you. Gotta get it done tonight as the Amber 4 wt. is heading to St. Louis this week . Another baby leaves the nest.

Don't know how the Ryall compares in size and weight to your Martin, but you could get a rough idea. The Ryall is loaded with a 4 WF line. The Salsa kind of has the old Fenwick look to it. Has a good throwback look to it without the lack of feel and extra weight of the older rods.
"Blessed is the fly fisher who's quiver contains grass, glass & graphite custom rods." Book of Rods 3:16
Old 05-28-2013, 11:49 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Beautiful rod!!I love the color of the blank....the more I see your rods the more I feel like building one
was sure Betty would like your job...
Auntie Em likes this.
Old 05-28-2013, 12:17 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Great colors. Thanks for posting the pictures.
Old 05-28-2013, 01:13 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Without line that old Martin weighs less than a Hardy Featherweight I think, somewhere around 2.75 oz. it is very similar to a Featherweight but lighter and made at Mohawk NY. I was just thinking out loud but if you send me (or post) some pictures that will be great.

Thanks Pete,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-29-2013, 07:51 AM

Ard,

I weighted the J.Ryall and it weights 175 grams (6.17 oz.) loaded with a 4 wt. WF line and backing.

The Amber rod is an 8' 4 wt. The white rod is a 7'6" 4 wt. The extra 6" moved the balance point about 1 or 2 cork rings.

Old 05-29-2013, 10:43 AM

Auntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpbfly View Post
Beautiful rod!!I love the color of the blank....the more I see your rods the more I feel like building one
was sure Betty would like your job...
OMG!!!! ... YES! The Epic blanks are in some of the most beautiful colors ... and then to have petee work his magic ... WOW! Beautiful!!
jpbfly likes this.
Old 05-29-2013, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auntie Em View Post
OMG!!!! ... YES! The Epic blanks are in some of the most beautiful colors ... and then to have petee work his magic ... WOW! Beautiful!!
Thanks Auntie Em . You are dead on correct about the Epic blanks. Cool thing is... Carl McNeil says they are coming out with some other colors soon. Not many manufacturers offer up a selection of colors. I have built on 3 of the 4 colors so far. But that will be fixed with my next blank order. Gotta try a build on the blue. Can't decide which color is my favorite. It changes all the time.

Pete
Old 05-29-2013, 01:39 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Petee, you have me thinking that I need to build one of these. I need another project like I need a hole in the head so I really want to thank you...