The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2013, 08:06 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future
Default What are the options for black rings in a grip?

I'm planning a build for a friend I've had him looking at custom grips to try figure out what he likes and what I can do for him. He's found a couple grips with black rings in it. I suspect they are EVA foam. He doesn't like the idea of foam and I've never used it so I don't know what to think about either. How soft is this stuff?

Have any of you ever seen a black black cork composite? Some of the burnt burls are pretty dark but really still brown.

Is it possible to dye cork?

Thanks!
Old 05-29-2013, 08:34 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What are the options for black rings in a grip?

I've used this stuff, the burt burl and it is pretty dark. Not as cleanly black at EVA but still very dark. He also has it in 1/4" and 1/2" rings. I know people put EVA in cork grips but haven't done it personally or held one.
Old 05-29-2013, 08:50 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Thanks William, that looks pretty darn dark. In my searches I read that burl rings will accept wood stain as they are composite. Might try some black stain on burnt rings. I'm also looking at some cork composite sheets that are solid color...I sense some experiments coming up.
williamhj likes this.
Old 05-29-2013, 10:11 PM

petee is a name known to allpetee is a name known to allpetee is a name known to allpetee is a name known to allpetee is a name known to allpetee is a name known to all

Check out some of Terry Henson's builds. I believe he uses either Buffalo horn or Water Buffalo horn. Ebony wood is also very, very dark, if not black. Every once in a while some of the pen blank dealers offer bigger diameter acrylics you could turn down.
"Blessed is the fly fisher who's quiver contains grass, glass & graphite custom rods." Book of Rods 3:16
Old 05-29-2013, 10:55 PM

thanks Pete. That's wayy above my paygrade!! Beautiful stuff though.
Old 05-29-2013, 11:08 PM

random user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the rough

Not positive it wood work, but look into ferric acetate. Cork is oak. Oak is high in tanic acid. Ferric acetate reacts with tanic acid and dyes what ever is carrying the tannins black.

Haven't played with it yet, but am going to for the next rod I build.

What I am positive of is you can dye red oak 100% black with ferric acetate and a little heat/flame/ or lots of sunlight. Add in a stabilization with washed linseed oil and a "shoe shine' with a strip from an army blanket saturated with a wood ash slurry and you high glass black

When I was forging seaxes, most of my blades went out with red oak stained whith ferric acetate.

To make ferric acetate get a opaque brown hydrogen peroxide bottle, rince it out. fill to 3/4 with distilled white vinegar then stuff in a 0000 stell wool pad and wait a week. Important thing to do is bore a hole in the cap and force some aquarium air line threw it and run the other end of the line into a bottle of water. This keep the ferric acetate from reacting with any light and any ambient oxygen. (The water filter keeps the smell down too. It smells like rusty vinegar.)
dean_mt likes this.
Old 05-29-2013, 11:29 PM

Let me know how that works next time you try it. I'm not much of a chemist. You had me till the air line and pump...what happens if you just let it sit within fresh air? I'm certainly curious of this idea. Pretty cool when smart people come up with ingenious solutions.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
Old 05-30-2013, 06:54 AM

random user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the rough

No pump involved - you get a snug fit threw the peroxide cap with the air line and run the the side off the air line into a bottle of water.

This keeps ambient oxygen out of the mix. If you expose ferric acetate to air for any length of time it turns rusty brown and won't stain very well since the reaction is pretty much over.

If you use the air line to keep the Oxygen out of the mix and you pour carefully from the peroxide bottle you will get a clear, slightly blue liquid. pretty much what ever you get that stuff on will turn color, from a slight tan to black - all depends on the pH and the presence of tannins or similar.

Work outside. wear gloves and 'painting clothes'.

If you let it perk in open air, you end up the a room that smells heavily of rusty vinegar and a bottle of rusty water.

(I'm just the parrot here. I learned it from a guy who didn't know any chemistry. Ferric acetate is the original black dye for leather.)
dean_mt likes this.
Old 05-30-2013, 08:44 AM

Alright, I'll give it a try.
Old 06-01-2013, 08:41 AM

baitwaister will become famous soon enough

I have used both black gasket material and black acrylic sheet with good success. The gasket is really nice to work with can give very thin highlights.
dean_mt likes this.