The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Rip Tide

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2013, 08:57 PM

enolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of light
Default Baitcaster-to-Fly Rod conversion (antique)

If I'm not flyfishing, I use spinning gear and never got the knack of bait caster equipment. I've haad this particular rod for ages now that was handed to me by my pap who has long passed... Its a, Horrocks-Ibbotson Co. Rod and I don't know the date.

I have been wanting to do something with it (unless if it'll be worth THAT much to let it sit as-is)

For the rod builders here. Can I turn this into a flyrod? Give me suggestions please. The front handle is a good fit to my hand + I can probably make a modification there. I figured the back handle can be trimmed down but where the issue lyes is extending it. I would need to adapt a compatable bamboo tip of sorts.

I never built a rod before but wondering if this can be a do-able project to get my feet wet.

---------- Post added at 07:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:42 PM ----------

Here's some photos.

Click the image to open in full size.

---------- Post added at 07:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:45 PM ----------

Here's the guide and tip.

Chief Thread Starter
Mother Approved...
Old 06-16-2013, 07:10 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Baitcaster-to-Fly Rod conversion (antique)

That's a nice lookin' boat rod, but it's far too heavy to "convert" to a fly rod.
It wasn't ever meant to be a casting rod. It's for trolling
I wouldn't say that it's worth a lot, but somebody would want it. As is, not chopped up.
enolaeagle likes this.
Old 06-18-2013, 07:17 AM

petee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to behold

Ditto what Rip says. I would find another guide to replace the broken one, rewrap and if required refinish the rod. That rod is a bit if history. You don't see them anymore.

Pete
"Blessed is the fly fisher who's quiver contains grass, glass & graphite custom rods." Book of Rods 3:16
Old 06-18-2013, 09:51 AM

runningfish is a name known to allrunningfish is a name known to allrunningfish is a name known to allrunningfish is a name known to allrunningfish is a name known to allrunningfish is a name known to all

Me personally would restore it and put it in a glass box and hanging it on my family room's wall. To me the sentimental value of a handed down item from a pap is greater than any fly rods. Who knows you might be able to hand it down to your kids or grand kids.