The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2013, 05:46 PM

logic_factory is on a distinguished road
Default looking for extra-fast action blanks; specifically 10ft 5wt

i am no longer willing to tolerate the large inadequacy of my 8.5ft 5wt. the saving grace to this rod, which has keep it my only 5wt for about 15 years is how fast the action is. i have now started to cast other rods in preparation for finding a solution. i have tried a "fast" st. croix legend 9' 6wt rod and even with a 5wt line it flexes more than my rod. i also tried a g loomis glx 9ft 5wt. this rod was much closer to what i have now but i would still like something faster, if possible. if i have to get a 4 piece blank i will but i want to possible have some extra fast action blanks i can maybe pick throw. is this a realistic goal?

thank you for your time.
Old 06-19-2013, 10:41 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: looking for extra-fast action blanks; specifically 10ft 5wt

What is it about your current rod that makes it inadequate? What is it that you want a super fast 5 wt rod for?

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm probably wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

http://www.wasatchguideservice.com/

Old 06-20-2013, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fysh View Post
the two characteristics from the current rod that have me here are the height and how difficult it becomes to control the line when the rod gets loaded up to much. the height because it makes it more difficult for me to keep the line off the water or clear the objects behind me.

the super fast 10ft 5wt would be for fishing.

i have found myself in too many scenarios over the years, where if i was able to reach the fish it was not accurately enough and i would impart premature drag on my fly. i also have found myself in plenty of scenarios i was not able to reach the fish with what i have and think that if i had a longer, stiffer rod i may have been able to.
a tangible goal from this project would be to add another 10-15ft which i can more accurately control.

at this time, i am considering the pac bay quickline 10ft 5wt. which has ccs data for it. i am now going to try and find ccs data for the other three blanks i am looking at; mhx 10ft 4piece and 9ft 5wt 2 piece, american tackle matrix 9ft 5wt. it would be nice to find some 10ft 2 piece rods as i have been un-able to locate any blanks yet.

the search continues, thank you for your time.
Old 06-20-2013, 07:01 PM

tedp is on a distinguished road

The CTS Affinity X series is described as Fast - Extra Fast. There is a 10' 5wt 4pc model. It's a larger investment than the Pac Bay or MHX blanks though. Their Revo Salt series is called Super Fast but the smallest is 8wt.
Old 06-20-2013, 07:15 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Couple other options to consider, though they might not fit your specs perfectly, all Batson blanks.
- 2pc RX7 10' 5wt listed as med-fast
- 4pc RX8 9' 5wt extra fast
Old 06-21-2013, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedp View Post
yes, my researching introduced me to that company the other day. i ended up dismissing them based on price alone as i felt i might be able to find a more cost effective solution. after a long day of searching and acquiring data i am now much more open to paying their price. i am finding it next to impossible to find these rods on this side of the pond. it seems like others before have had similar troubles. i would also need to have some ccs data for the blanks to help me better understand what the rod may feel like. i think one of the ccs data bases i found had some of their blanks listed.
thank you for your input.
Quote:
Originally Posted by williamhj View Post
these rods are now back up for consideration. i have accepted i can not get what i want at this time and need to compromise for the goal i have set.
thank you for your suggestion.

as i mentioned above i spent the majority of my day trying to find rods that could accomplish the goals i have. to help me better understand what ern values i might find acceptable i ran a ccs test on the rods i have access to. here are the results:
eagle claw rod listed as 6/7
53cents/6.76 ERN and an AA of 62
st. croix legend 9ft 6wt
48 cents/6.08 ERN and an AA of 63
st. croix avid 8.5ft 5wt(my rod for last 15ish years)
49cents/6.22 ERN and an AA of 66
orvis power matrix 10 9ft 5wt
42cents/5.20 ERN and an AA of 65
g loomis glx 9ft 5wt (i am going to retest this rod as it felt much stiffer)
41cents/5.05 ERN and an AA of 70

i wanted to try and get a ERN up in the mid 7's so that i can see how it casts a 5wt line. the eagle claw came closest as other 8wt+ rods went off the conversion chart i had and could no longer tell what ERN value they had;i.e. 80+cents. my testing left me disappointed. i could not discern much a difference with when the eagle claw rod felt loaded when compared to the older version of st. croix avid or the g loomis glx. i was hoping the rod would stay solid and allow me to hold 15 or so more feet of line off the water with ease. between this experiment and seeing the data collected i now have accepted i need a much higher ERN of around mid 7's and would like a AA of >70, if possible. i have accepted a 9ft rod maybe able to accomplish my goal better than the 10ft rods blanks i have seen and now have opened the search up to them.

i may still build the quickline rod but it will not come first. in addition to trying to source these cts rods today i want to try and get some ccs data for the orvis access blanks. based on the butt and tip and crude correlations i have observed i believe there may be some rods that can accomplish the aforementioned ern and aa values i desire.

does anyone have ccs data for orvis access blanks?

does anyone have the formula for converted cents to ERN?

does anyone have a source in the united states for the cts line of blanks?

these are the questions i try to answer today. thank you for your time.
Old 06-21-2013, 09:44 AM

imxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of light

Logic

Take a look at a Loomis GLX MAX . You mentioned taking another look at a GLX, the MAX might provide the extra stiffness you are looking for. Good luck with your search, let us know how it turns out.

Nature, Cheaper than Therapy

LIVE TODAY
Old 06-24-2013, 12:38 PM

tedp is on a distinguished road

Merrick Tackle carries the CTS blanks. If you don't have an account, I can help if you lean that way.
Old 06-24-2013, 11:09 PM

chased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to behold

I had a TFO TiCr X 9ft 5wt that I would describe as "extra-fast." They are definitely worth looking into if you want something nearly as stiff as a telephone pole.

-Chase