The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2013, 10:25 PM

kayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to all
Default Re: Size 3 tip tops?

little more info on tiptop sizes

Fly Rod Tip Tops
Old 07-12-2013, 11:40 AM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry I didn't see this before. I checked my build notes, all the 7wts I've built (6 or them) have had a 4 or 4.5 tips. Good call on switching blanks.
Old 07-12-2013, 11:43 AM

nick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nice

Yeah, I eventually built on Mudhole MHX blanks with size 4 tip top. Rod came out beautiful. Here are some pictures of it that I posted on another thread as well. My first rod.

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 07-12-2013, 11:50 AM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Looks great Nick! I'm guessing your pretty much done for now like the rest of us. It looks like you got the bug pretty good . Welcome to the obsession.
Old 07-12-2013, 12:22 PM

nick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by swirlchaser View Post
Looks great Nick! I'm guessing your pretty much done for now like the rest of us. It looks like you got the bug pretty good . Welcome to the obsession.
Yup, just about. Already planning my next builds. If I end up enjoying spey casting, I'm probably going to build an 8wt for stripers and other saltwater use.
Old 07-12-2013, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick k View Post
Yup, just about. Already planning my next builds. If I end up enjoying spey casting, I'm probably going to build an 8wt for stripers and other saltwater use.
If you do, don't bother with a switch rod just go with a full length spey. A 8-9wt switch for the surf if a waste.
Old 07-12-2013, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swirlchaser View Post
If you do, don't bother with a switch rod just go with a full length spey. A 8-9wt switch for the surf if a waste.
I don't like the idea of switch rods. When I wanted to get a spey for largemouth (which is what my 6wt is now for) most people told me to go switch because it is versatile and can do 2 handed and single handed casts well. I've never been a fan of what most people consider "versatility" or items that can be described as "jack of all trades."

In my opinion, versatility means that you do everything decent, and nothing well. I am the type of person that likes the two extremes, and will not be satisfied with the middle ground. If I am buying a rod to do 2 handed casts, I dont want a switch rod that CAN do them, but sacrifices some of that functionality in order to also accommodate single handed casts better. I have single handed rods for single handed casts. I'd rather have an item that excels in one aspect rather than being okay in several.

Obviously, this is just me though, and is not the case for everyone. I understand the appeal of switch rods, they are just very off putting to me.
Old 07-12-2013, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick k View Post
I don't like the idea of switch rods. When I wanted to get a spey for largemouth (which is what my 6wt is now for) most people told me to go switch because it is versatile and can do 2 handed and single handed casts well. I've never been a fan of what most people consider "versatility" or items that can be described as "jack of all trades."

In my opinion, versatility means that you do everything decent, and nothing well. I am the type of person that likes the two extremes, and will not be satisfied with the middle ground. If I am buying a rod to do 2 handed casts, I dont want a switch rod that CAN do them, but sacrifices some of that functionality in order to also accommodate single handed casts better. I have single handed rods for single handed casts. I'd rather have an item that excels in one aspect rather than being okay in several.

Obviously, this is just me though, and is not the case for everyone. I understand the appeal of switch rods, they are just very off putting to me.
Switch rods have their place, I have a 6wt switch and get good use out of it. When it comes to the surf all of your casting will be two handed, overhead casting. Using an 8-9wt switch with one hand is not practical so in that situation you might as well go spey and get the advantage of the extra length.
Old 07-12-2013, 02:45 PM

petee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to behold

Now that this tip top post has been completely hijacked I'll weigh in on switch rods in the surf. Granted I am a newbie to the whole switch rod thing, but I love my Sage "One" in the surf. 100' casts are the norm. Not that I ever need to cast that far for any other reason than its fun, but still 100' with no effort....I'll take it. However, I am not trying to 1) use it as a one handed caster with a traditional fly line or 2) using a spey style cast. I am using a T-11, 330 grain, 30' shooting head with running line. Water load it and let it fly. Screw the false casting.

The same people who recommended that I not build a switch rod are now buying switch rods for themselves. Guess every rod has its place. Don't judge a switch until you try a switch. Taking what you read or what others say as gospel will make you a follower. Then you will never know if there is a better way for you.

Just my $.02

Pete
"Blessed is the fly fisher who's quiver contains grass, glass & graphite custom rods." Book of Rods 3:16
Old 07-12-2013, 03:15 PM

I'm not doubting that they have their place. They just don't appeal to me personally. My intention is to make 2 handed casts only, and for that purpose, a full spey is simply more well suited.