The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2013, 01:43 PM

nick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of light
Default Size 3 tip tops?

So I was planning on buying some 4pc 9'0'' 7wt blanks from Anglers Roost. I reached out to John who runs the place to ask the butt section OD and tip top OD so I could get the appropriate winding checks and tip top. He then told me that the tip top was a 3.0. After a few back and forth emails to confirm whether he was telling me it was 3.0mm or Size #3.0, he confidently told me that it was a size #3.0. The problem is, I don't think they make size 3.0. I can't find any tip tops that go below size #3.5, and I assume those would be for UL rods.

I'm completely new to rod building but I feel like I'm being misled. Thoughts anyone?
Old 06-21-2013, 01:57 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Size 3 tip tops?

Yeah a lot of tip tops don't come that small! Here's one I found on mudhole's site, not sure the finish you're looking for but they do have some others in that size. Also found this on ebay.
Old 06-21-2013, 02:23 PM

nick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of light

Should that lead me to consider another blank instead? Something not appealing about a blank that takes a tip top size that is all but non existent.
Old 06-21-2013, 02:34 PM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute

It's hard to believe that a 7wt rod could have a #3 tip top. That is really small! Hard to say, I do not want to accuse anyone of the anything, but it sounds "fishy" too me, and not the good "fishy"!
Old 06-21-2013, 03:04 PM

I find it hard to believe too. I want to email him again but I think he's getting pretty pissed at all my questions. His last email was all caps....

To be honest it's making me not want to buy the blanks.
Old 06-21-2013, 03:21 PM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

Hi Nick.
I've dealt with John an Englishman living in Florida however I'd check out Pacbay or one of The other retailers for tip sizes or buy The Blank first then chase The Tip.
The US system for Tip tops are usually in 1/64 inches ie a # 4 is usually 1/16 of an inch.
If a # 3 is 3 mm it would be around 1/8 of an inch which would be a big tip for a 7 Wt Fly Rod ??
Brian.
Old 06-21-2013, 03:28 PM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick k View Post
I find it hard to believe too. I want to email him again but I think he's getting pretty pissed at all my questions. His last email was all caps....

To be honest it's making me not want to buy the blanks.
GET OUT WHILE YOU CAN!

Kidding, but all caps email is pretty sure sign of somethings.
Old 06-21-2013, 03:29 PM

#3 is a small size for tip tops, the largest ones I've seen so far are size 7.5
Old 06-21-2013, 03:32 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Brian, when you mention an Englishman living in Florida who sells blanks do you mean Brian Barnes at Ye Olde English Fly Shop? The John that Nick is talking about is with the Anglers Roost is in New York.

Nick, if the blank is on it's way, yeah just waiting and measuring it yourself might be the way to go. If you don't have one, grab a caliper from home depot etc, I got a digital one for about $20 that I use a lot with rod building. Otherwise, you could look elsewhere, for example Ye Olde English Fly shop, built two rods off his graphite blanks and like both of them. He has a 9' 8wt in blue on his site. Might have others in stock if you ask. He's a real easy guy to work with.
Old 06-21-2013, 03:48 PM

Thanks for the suggestion. I hadn't ordered anything yet so I think I'm actually gonna go with the mudhole MHX blanks. I checked online and they got some really good reviews. I guess they were based on winston blanks or something like that.