The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2013, 08:28 AM

nick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of light
Default Easiest way to find the spine?

Hey all,

The supplies to build my first rod should be here in the next few days, and I was looking for some advice on finding the spine. I know there are a few methods out there, but I was wondering which way you think is the easiest for a beginner.

As a secondary question, I wanted to make sure I'm correct in thinking that I should build on the spine and not the belly. I will be building a 7wt to start off. I believe belly is for lighter weight rods.

Thanks for the help.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:04 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Easiest way to find the spine?

Here's what I do.
I take the fat end and balance it on the toe of my shoe.
The skinny end pokes into the palm of my hand.
With the other hand, I'll slowly draw a couple of fingers across the middle of the blank section, spinning it until it "pops". Then I mark the "pop" point with a grease pencil.
If you can't find the spline, then it doesn't matter.
IMO it doesn't matter what side you build on either.
Old 06-25-2013, 11:32 AM

Auntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to all

Just like Rip Tide. Except, just push down slightly on the top of which ever piece you have on your toe ... it'll automatically bow to the spine. If all else fails (not that that's EVER happened to me), line that puppy up as perfectly straight as possible, and build it on that straightness. (hold each piece straight out and look down the length ... add pieces as you turn to straighten. Keep in mind that even SAGE builds on the straight ... not the spine!!)
Old 06-25-2013, 11:56 AM

nick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks for the help guys.

Auntie Em: Not entirely sure what you mean by building on the straight or adding pieces as I turn. I'll have to look that up a little later.
Old 06-25-2013, 12:57 PM

petee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to behold

I am betting Auntie Em is referring to building on the straightest axis. Sight down a section to see the straightest axis. Once you find it add another blank section and sight down. Keeping adding your blank sections by lining up the straightest axis until the blank is assembled. I may be way off, but that is what I read into the post.

I do what Rip Tide does only I have never used the toe of my shoe. I usually keep the end on a hard surface. Going to give the shoe toe a try.

Not every section, especially butt sections, will have a distinguished spine. Or better yet, sometimes you might find two apparent spines on a section.

Pete
"Blessed is the fly fisher who's quiver contains grass, glass & graphite custom rods." Book of Rods 3:16
Old 06-25-2013, 04:36 PM

Auntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to all

Oh, Nick! I'm sorry! I wrote that as I was seeing it ... and by far, petee's explanation for what I wrote is far better than mine! Yes. Hold the butt section straight,sight down the length, add another section, turning that section till it's straight to the axis, and continue till each section is on and straight. I've done this for so long, and it's far more natural to do it than write it! I'll try to do better in the future!

Be sure to wear shoes if you try the "other" method ...
Old 06-25-2013, 05:09 PM

kayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to all

You can use a mirrow instead of your toe.