The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By williamhj
  • 1 Post By nick k

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2013, 09:50 PM

nick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of light
Default Question on guide placement

For the rod I'm building, I have a table for the guide placement. It says the numbers are distances starting from the tip. Does this mean from the tip of the blank ferrule, or from the tip of the tip top once its on? I ask because one guide marking is fairly close to the end of the ferrule.

For example, it says the one of the guide spots is 27 5/16" but the blank is only 28.5". Isn't that too close?
Old 06-28-2013, 10:06 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question on guide placement

You can have a guide as a continuation of the ferrule wrap if it falls there. Hopefully this link works, it isn't one of my rods but I just did a google search for an example of a guide incorporated into a ferrule wrap. I usually lay out guides without the tiptop but it really doesn't add much length at all and you can figure it into your measurements.
nick k likes this.
Old 06-28-2013, 10:13 PM

nick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks for putting my mind at ease. Was afraid I had a faulty guide on my first rod.

Reel seat, grip, and fightin butt looks good so far. Hopefully I can keep it up.
williamhj likes this.
Old 06-29-2013, 08:28 PM

petee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to behold

Are you referring to something like this? Epic 6wt. Salsa colored blank

Guides located right at ferrules is very common. Most builders will move them to sit on the female ferrule rather than at the end of the male ferrule, if need be.

Pete
"Blessed is the fly fisher who's quiver contains grass, glass & graphite custom rods." Book of Rods 3:16
Old 06-29-2013, 09:37 PM

random user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the rough

Pete, all those glass epics are just too pretty. That salsa one sort tweaks the thing I have for red heads.
Old 07-03-2013, 09:03 PM

I just spaced out my 12'6" rod I'm about to build and the first stripping guide a exactly at the intersection of the first and second blank. I am assuming moving it to the second blank is best.

Question I've been meaning to ask. When you look at guide spacing charts, are the lengths assuming that the rod is fit together snug, or that the blanks are laid end to end and not connected?
Old 07-03-2013, 09:22 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Figure it with the blank assembled like you're going to be fishing with the rod. You could put the stripping guide on the first ferrule if you want. What I like to do is grip the blank where I would if I was fishing it then act like I'm reaching up to grab the line hanging from the first guide (stripping guide). The highest spot you can comfortably reach is a good place for the stripping guide.

It will likely be about where it is on the chart, but that should let you know if you should put it on the top of the first section or the ferrule of the second.
If you find you want it significantly lower than the chart indicates you'll want to re-figure the guide spacing, but that's part of the purpose of making your own rod, making it for you. No sense stretching to grab the line if you can make it comfortable.