The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Fly Rod Building (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-rod-building/)
-   -   Are my thread wraps too long? (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-rod-building/323645-my-thread-wraps-too-long.html)

nick k 06-29-2013 02:23 PM

Are my thread wraps too long?

Hey all,

So my first rod is under way, and I've just noticed I did something a little irregular. It seems I made my thread wraps pretty long, with some extending 6 or 7 mm past the guide foot. Although I think it looks fine, will this have an adverse effect on rod performance? Perhaps because more rod finish and thus more stiff rod area?

Auntie Em 06-29-2013 04:03 PM

Re: Are my thread wraps too long?

I can't think 7mm would make for much difference in the action or weight. If they're even, if they look uniform, if you're happy with it ... that's all that really matters!

silvertip8k 06-29-2013 05:31 PM

Nick...I dont think it will make a real difference...as a rule I go about 1/3 the whole snake over...just try out the finish knot a few times and get your own recipe down...

the rod blank probably does not even know the guide is there...

aesthetics... maybe 4-6 turns past the snake tip is all that is necc...my best suggestion is to just lok at other rods you like...and copy that...

there are few things cooler than catching a nice fish with a rod you made yourself!

Rip Tide 06-29-2013 06:51 PM

If you even imagine that there's too many wraps.... then there are.
You don't want to be looking at this for the rest of your life thinking that you should have done less.
I try to do 5-6 before the 'step-up" onto the foot.

chipgerrard 06-29-2013 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Auntie Em (Post 568143)
I can't think 7mm would make for much difference in the action or weight. If they're even, if they look uniform, if you're happy with it ... that's all that really matters!

I couldn't agree more. It's your rod. If you like it than nothing else matters

petee 06-29-2013 08:18 PM

Some folks who are always concerned with weight of a rod would say more wraps= more weight due to finish required to coat the threads. More weight = damped rod action (supposedly). Me? I don't cast well enough to be able to tell the difference.

If you like it, that's all that matters. That why they call it "custom rod building" :wavetowel

Pete

nick k 06-30-2013 09:07 AM

Thanks for all the help guys. I definitely don't think it looks bad, as I like the colors, I was just afraid of performance issues. Seems that's not a problem though.

I just have the tip top to do now and then coating the wraps. Almost there.

Auntie Em 06-30-2013 09:37 AM

Fantastic! As for the epoxy ... it's easier to put on a couple THIN coats, than try to remove a too heavy coat ... just sayin' ... not that I EVER did that in my early attempts!! :rolleyes:

And remember ... we need PICTURES!!!! ;)

nick k 06-30-2013 10:06 AM

Thanks for all the help guys. I definitely don't think it looks bad, as I like the colors, I was just afraid of performance issues. Seems that's not a problem though.

I just have the tip top to do now and then coating the wraps. Almost there.

williamhj 06-30-2013 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Auntie Em (Post 568328)
. we need PICTURES!!!! ;)

+1 Pictures!