The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By williamhj

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2013, 03:18 PM

nick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nice
Default Single foot guides

What are the advantages/disadvantages to single foot guides over double foot or snake guides?

I would think that they would crush more easily and be less sturdy. Do people use them purely for looks or for an antique feel?
Old 07-03-2013, 03:55 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Single foot guides

Some people like cutting their thread work in half - only one foot to wrap. Along with this some think it reduces the weight on the blank a meaningful amount, though that is tough for me to believe.

Personally I prefer snake aesthetically and practically. I find it easy to tape one foot securely and wrap the other rather than securing the top of the foot on the single foot guide till you get it wrapped enough to remove the tape/band and finish wrapping if that makes sense. Lots of people use them but I prefer snakes.
Auntie Em likes this.
Old 07-03-2013, 05:22 PM

Auntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to all

I agree with William. Fewer feet to wrap, but also fewer feet to secure the guide.

One easier method to holding either two footed or single footed guides while beginning your wraps ... orthodontic elastics! Make friends with your local orthodontist, or a kid who wears braces, and set in a supply of elastics! They hold the guide perfectly in place while you wrap, and are easily removed by a flick of the ol' exacto knife. You'll wonder why you used masking tape for so long!!
Old 07-03-2013, 06:17 PM

random user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auntie Em View Post
I agree with William. Fewer feet to wrap, but also fewer feet to secure the guide.

One easier method to holding either two footed or single footed guides while beginning your wraps ... orthodontic elastics! Make friends with your local orthodontist, or a kid who wears braces, and set in a supply of elastics! They hold the guide perfectly in place while you wrap, and are easily removed by a flick of the ol' exacto knife. You'll wonder why you used masking tape for so long!!
I got a lil bag of those elastics years ago, in flourescent colors. The are great for thread spools as well.