The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2013, 07:41 AM

whalensdad is a jewel in the roughwhalensdad is a jewel in the roughwhalensdad is a jewel in the rough
Default WTF Happened to My Wraps?

I built this rod over the winter and have been using it since then. The last time I went out I noticed that I had 1 set of wraps that were milky white, while the rest of my wraps look normal. WTF caused this? What do I need to do to prevent it? Do I need to redo the wraps or is it only cosmetic?

Milky White Wraps
Click the image to open in full size.

Good Wraps
Old 07-05-2013, 07:58 AM

petee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: WTF Happened to My Wraps?

Looks like moisture got under them. Is there a small gap between the finish and guide or the finish and the blank? Those are the two spots where moisture can migrate under the finish and screw up everything. Pretty much the same thing Steeldrifter mentioned on the other board.

Pete
williamhj likes this.
"Blessed is the fly fisher who's quiver contains grass, glass & graphite custom rods." Book of Rods 3:16
Old 07-05-2013, 08:16 AM

whalensdad is a jewel in the roughwhalensdad is a jewel in the roughwhalensdad is a jewel in the rough

I looked at everything under a magnifying glass and did not see any gaps.

Is there anything else that can cause this? Should I redo them or is my rod ok?
Old 07-05-2013, 09:13 AM

Auntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to all

In your last post, with the three pictures, I'd almost guess that there could be a leak in the very front where the thread meets up to the guide (picture two) left half of the guide. Just a guess, mind you. I'd suggest taking off the epoxy and wraps from this guide, making sure when you are wrapping it that it is totally dry (color preserver?), and very carefully re-epozy-ing the wrap, taking care to begin and end smoothly and completely, especially where the thread meets the metal.
Old 07-05-2013, 11:32 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

My guess is that this may have been the first wrap done, meaning it got the thread from the top of the spool. The thread itself may have been moist / damp. The under layers of thread from the spool used on the other wraps may have been drier.

The second thing that I have seen that will cause this is if you apply multiple coats of finish before the first coat is thoroughly dry. During the curing process various solvents and a very small percentage of moisture rise to the surface of most finishes as the chemical reaction that we call drying takes place. If we apply a second coat before the solvents and etc have completely dried we trap them beneath the second coat.

This can happen with the finish on the heads of salmon & streamer flies also.

Ard

---------- Post added at 08:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:07 AM ----------

I saw the 'Like' on that Auntie Em,

Do you think that's a possibility? have you ever had the problem with rushed second coats?

I've had it happen and should have known better. I ran a restoration business for many years and we dis a lot of historical work. It was very important to allow coats of varnish - lacquer - or polyurethane to dri fully between coats or you could have this 'milky' appearance happen to finished wood surfaces too.
Auntie Em likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 07-05-2013, 08:30 PM

The thing is it happened after 6 months of use. I guess I'll never really know what caused it. I'm just going to remove the wrap and guide and redo it.
Old 07-05-2013, 08:50 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I've seen finish hold up for months before the problem sets in. What happens is time. Time and or UV.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 07-06-2013, 08:46 AM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

I don't do any rod building, but have had that milky appearance on fly heads while tying flies.

Once, I found out that certain types of wax don't work well with some head cements or epoxy. I was using waxed thread & solved the problem by going to unwaxed.

The other time I had it happen I had gotten "something" oily on my fingers, which transferred to the thread. I noticed a stain under the finish. When I tie now, I make a point of washing my hands thoroughly before tying & making sure my tying area is clean & of course dry.

IMO, unless you intend to sell the rod, and the guide is secure, I would leave it alone & use it as is & wait to see if it gets worse. It appears to be a cosmetic issue only at this point.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 07-06-2013, 09:39 AM

Auntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to all

Ard,
I have had this happen on flies, and furniture finishing.

Had "something" happen on a couple wraps early on in my rod crafting, usually after the rod had been dunked, so I figured it was a leak somewhere. Rather than chance anything worse happening while miles from home, I changed the wraps out.

Moisture is not the friend of epoxy. Nor are oily fingers, wax, dust, ... ahhh, the list goes on and on!!
Em
Old 07-06-2013, 07:39 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Ive seen this happen with older spools of thread the kind you used to use color preserver with. Thread that comes from a shop where it is left open may come in contact with all kinds of things! A worker in my shop was spraying bug spray all over the place one time and the owner went crazy on him! Just think what that residue could do to all exposed spools of thread in the shop!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser